ATI Catalyst 6.2 now available.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Tony DiMarzio, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. Include native support for X1900 series.

    Tony DiMarzio, Feb 10, 2006

  2. Tony DiMarzio

    Sean Cousins Guest

    Thanks for the heads up.

    Sean Cousins, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Tony DiMarzio

    Tom Lake Guest

    Include native support for X1900 series.

    Not for my AIW X800XT AGP, though. I installed
    it and was stuck in 640x480 4-bit color (16 color)
    mode! I rolled back the driver and it's working fine
    back at 6.1.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Tony DiMarzio

    Tom Lake Guest

    Well, I just couldn't give up. I uninstalled 6.1 again and reinstalled 6.2
    and it works fine now.
    Whew!

    Tom L

    Tom Lake, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Glad to hear it :)

    So far so good for me.

    Running on X1900XTX. Haven't ran benchmarks yet, but all seems well.

    Tony

    Tony DiMarzio, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Tony DiMarzio

    RzR Guest

    the only fool proof way to do it is to make an image of the clean
    windows install without any video drivers...then on every change reload
    the image...sad but true :)

    RzR, Feb 10, 2006
  7. Tony DiMarzio

    Guest Guest

    Just the same here on an X1800XT. Stuck in 16 color 640x480 although the
    system thought it was using the ATI drivers and let me choose 32bit color
    and resolutions up to 2048x1536 applying them did nothing.

    A second install got the driver working.

    However, as if control centre wasn't crap enough already they seem to have
    screwed it up even more. Overdrive settings were lost so I had to try to
    set it up again (some of the screw up might have been in 6.1, I didn't have
    to touch anything when I installed that).

    The automatic clock configurator now consistently crashes my system while
    testing memory speed, never crashed before although the memory clock it
    came up with was over optimistic. It barely warms the GPU also, any modern
    3D app will have the fan spinning and the GPU temp up to 70C in a few
    seconds, 10 minutes of the configurator and the GPU hadn't even reached
    70C. Then the check box for "enable overdrive for 3D apps only" is checked
    and grayed out, no indication why. From testing it doesn't enable overdrive
    for windowed 3D apps only full screen so that's crap.

    Then every time set and apply a new clock it pops up a yes/no dialog
    moaning about overclocking and unchecks and grays out the "Preserve ATI
    overdrive settings at loggin" check box. I discovered that flipping to
    another control canter panel then back again un-grays this checkbox so I
    can check it and applying that gives me the moaning dialog again FFS.

    Then I press the help button and Firefox comes up saying "Firefox can't
    find the file at /C:/Program." and another two tabs open with sites named
    "files" and " technologies" which it can't find. The pile of poo can't even
    open a HTML file.

    I installed 6.1 again and that left me with 640x480 in 16 colors so it
    looks like 6.2 screwed up something and left it screwed up, then after
    re-booting the second install of 6.1 the system starts trying to install
    unsigned WDM drivers which I cancel and now one of the drivers for my
    Brother MFC printer is crashing on shut down. I gave up an restored my
    system drive from a recent image to get back to 6.1.

    Having recovered I am going to leave it alone but I noticed 6.1 can't open
    the help file either and the "enable overdrive for 3D apps only" box is
    unchecked and grayed out.

    Considering how long they have been working on it, the huge resources it
    takes, what little work it actually has to do, and they can't even make
    help and checkboxes work properly - If I had anything to do with it I would
    sack the "Control Center Development Team".

    Guest, Feb 10, 2006
  8. Tony DiMarzio

    Sean Cousins Guest

    I always run the ATI CAT uninstaller (available at the ATI website)
    before installing new drivers and never have an issue.

    Sean Cousins, Feb 10, 2006
  9. Tony DiMarzio

    Sean Cousins Guest

    Nah, just run the ATI CAT uninstaller first and you won't have any
    problems. I believe that is what ATI recommends too.

    Sean Cousins, Feb 10, 2006
  10. Tony DiMarzio

    Ted F Guest

    Try this too.

    This finds and wipes clean hidden files leftover after uninstalling ATI and
    NVIDIA device drivers, including WDM drivers. You would be suprised what you
    find.

    DH Driver Cleaner Professional Edition
    http://www.drivercleaner.net

    Ted F, Feb 10, 2006
  11. Tony DiMarzio

    First of One Guest

    Was there actually anything wrong with the drivers included on the X1900
    CD... that the 6.2s fixed?

    First of One, Feb 11, 2006
  12. Not really. Except that the drivers weren't bundled in a convenient
    InstallShield package (ala CAT web downloads) and the fact that 3DMark0(x)
    saw the drivers as a hacked set and wouldn't let you publish those scores.

    Now the drivers officially support X1900 series in the same publicly
    available driver package. Just feels like a cleaner install this way.

    Tony

    Tony DiMarzio, Feb 11, 2006
  13. Tony DiMarzio

    gary Guest

    I have same card. Did you just update the video drivers?
    Or did you install the entire Catalyst package, which I
    think comes with, and installs MMC 9.13?

    I'd like to keep the original MMC 9.03 I have now, that came
    on the original CD. Thanks for the advice.

    Gary

    gary, Feb 19, 2006
  14. Tony DiMarzio

    aj Guest

    using the x800xl AGP--massive improvement over the 6.1 in FEAR.

    aj, Feb 19, 2006