    at market doesn't work right with them?

    I just say that my next card is Nvidia, prolly 6600GT or even 6800.
    They have these cards on AGP- bus too.

    Tönkkö, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Tönkkö

    NightSky 421 Guest

    I have experienced stuttering that seems to get worse after playing for a
    little while in Doom 3 with the Cat 5.3 drivers. However, exiting the game
    and re-starting the game solves the problem. I don't have to reboot
    Windows. Still, I never had this problem with the drivers that were out
    when Doom 3 was first released.

    Believe me, both Ati and nVidia are guilty of this.

    They are said to be good cards, just don't be surprised if you encounter
    issues from time to time with some popular games the same as you might with
    ATI.

    I will give them credit there. I think it's too soon to give up on the AGP
    bus. There are a lot of people out there (like myself) who have an
    AGP-based system and a processor in the 3GHz range. Who says we wouldn't
    like higher-end video cards to continue for another year or more in AGP?

    NightSky 421, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Tönkkö

    Philburg2 Guest

    I find that 5.2 and 5.3 in general don't cut it. With 5.3, Rome: Total War
    took a dump on me during a siege with lots of fire, but reverting to 5.1
    fixed everything. So I'm sticking with 5.1 till I have a very large reason
    to switch.

    Philburg2, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Tönkkö

    SteveK Guest

    Same issue with Far Cry (Cat5.3) but it takes fairly long until it happens.
    For me having 1 gig ram I can play smoothly upto 1h until stuttering comes
    up.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0514-1, 07/04/2005
    Tested on: 8/04/2005 8:18:35 AM

    SteveK, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Tönkkö

    NightSky 421 Guest

    I have a gig of RAM as well...you could imagine what it would have been like
    on a system with only 384MB (the game's minimum) or even 512MB.

    I see the 5.4's are out now though, I'm off to read the release notes and
    see if anything is in there.

    NightSky 421, Apr 8, 2005
  6. Tönkkö

    Tönkkö Guest

    Theres nothing about Doom3 in release notes, and I already tried to
    play with them: no help at all. Back to 5.1

    PS. To those using 5.2-5.4 and playing Doom3, you don't have to
    restart the whole game, vid_restart in console does the same thing.

    Tönkkö, Apr 8, 2005
  7. Tönkkö

    NightSky 421 Guest

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    NightSky 421, Apr 9, 2005
  8. Tönkkö

    billy Guest

    I just didn't bother buying Doomed 3.

    Poor software design just for the sake of Nvidia sales ?

    I think not.

    billy, Apr 11, 2005