ATI color shift

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Zach, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Zach

    Zach Guest

    Okay, I'll try to keep this short (yeah, right). My "old" Dell had an
    ATI 9600XT Radeon and I kept having a problem with the color shifting
    when returning from a 3D game or coming off a 3D screensaver. I would
    have to get into the Catalyst control center to have it shift back to
    the proper calibrated color.

    I just purchases a new Dell a couple weeks ago with an ATI X600 and the
    same problem is rearing its ugly head again. I posted this on the ATI
    NG a month or so ago and someone said it was a defective card. OK, I
    can still live with it as the 9600XT performed flawlessly otherwise.
    Now with the X600 doing the same, I can't accept that it's another
    defective card. Has anyone else experienced this and what (if anything)
    did you do about it? I really wouldn't be all that concerned if it
    weren't for the fact I do a lot of photography and need the color to be
    as accurate as possible to reproduce in print what I see on screen.
    I've spent a pretty penny on top notch photo software, profiles and put
    a lot of time working with color spaces to make everything sync just to
    have it marred by a relatively simple matter (or so it would seem).

    Thanks for any/all suggestions!

    Zach

    Zach, Jan 20, 2006

  2. Out if curiousity, are you using the same monitor? I have an ATI 9600XT
    in my desktop (& a X300 in a laptop) and have never experienced the
    problem you describe.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Zach

    Zach Guest

    Yes I am BUT at one time I was using two monitors (the current Dell 20"
    flat panel) and a Dell 20" CRT; both were experiencing the color shift
    at the same time. Mind you, the shift is not blatant but is noticeable
    in pastel-like colors such as light gray, yellow, white, etc. As a
    matter of fact, I started using a MacBeth color chart as my desktop so I
    can readily see the shift and make the correction when necessary. Are
    you using a custom monitor profile as this is what's loaded into the
    video card at bootup (mine was created using Spyder Pro)?

    Zach

    Zach, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Zach

    Quaoar Guest

    There is a setting, somewhere in CCC, to permit/deny applications to
    change settings - I'm away from my X600 so I can't be specific as to
    location. I believe that this is on the same page as the
    gamma/contrast/brightness sliders, FWIW. You can also set up profiles
    in CCC that make it somewhat easier to return to the defaults you've set
    up. Have you tried the new Catalyst release of 1/18/2006? Are you
    using DVI or analog?

    Quaoar, Jan 20, 2006
  5. Zach

    Zach Guest

    I'm using the newest version(6.1)and a DVI setup. I'll check around to
    see if I can find what you're referring to but I gotta tell ya; I've
    tried every conceivable combination of settings known to man. I have
    set up a couple of profiles and it does help with returning to my
    default color but I'd just as soon not have to use them for obvious reasons.

    Zach

    Zach, Jan 20, 2006
  6. Zach

    Markeau Guest

    I have a similar problem on XPpro, ATI Radeon 8500: Using either
    Adobe Gamma or WiziWyg to load a custom monitor profile at boot, after
    coming out of standby the custom profile gets unloaded.

    Markeau, Jan 20, 2006