ATi Crossfire Preview now up on Anandtech

Discussion in 'ATI' started by John Lewis, May 31, 2005.

  1. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    www.anandtech.com

    Quick look:-

    Driver Support:-

    1 Alternate Frame rendering
    2. Split Frame rendering
    3. Super - AA modes. Quite interesting.

    Hardware:-

    To enable Crossfire:-

    1 Buy appropriate X800/X850 Crossfire Video Card
    --- works stand-alone as a 2-output card when not "paired"
    with standard card for Crossfire enhancement.

    Projected cost:-
    X850/256Meg Crossfire $549; X800/256 $299, X800/128 $249

    X850 Crossfire only works with X85O flavor standard cards
    X800 Crossfire only works with X800 flavors.

    No Crossfire support for any other families.

    2. Buy ATi X200 motherboard, Crossfire Edition...
    ( but get one with Uli Southbridge not Ati's buggy one. )

    Note:- ATi Crossfire Motherboard chipset supports Intel processors
    only - AMD lovers need not apply -- X200 Crossfire
    support for Intel dual-core ( er, furnaces ) unknown.

    Availability: Fall, probably... don't hold your breath.... Crossfire
    motherboards are likely to be in short supply through the end of the
    year. Between dual-core and SLI support for both Intel and AMD,, the
    MB manufacturers have their design/production hands full -- and they
    will always lean towards maximizing volume.

    Ati is apparently examining whether their drivers can convince a
    nVidia-SLI board to support Crossfire --- seems to be the only way
    they could ever get a Crossfire toe-hold in the AMD camp. nVidia
    could probably readily change THEIR drivers to support Crossfire but
    Hell would have to freeze first.

    ATi is also saying that Intel chip-set designs intended to support
    SLI ( presumably a variant of the 955X) might be convinced to
    support Crossfire. There are certainly some desktop 955X boards
    out there with dual X16 PCIe locations, but all that I have seen so
    far have solder filling one set of holes instead of a socket. Seems as
    if the chip-set is not ready for SLI-prime-time or far more likely,
    the Intel/nVidia agreement precludes Intel shipping their own SLI
    motherboard solution for a specified time.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, May 31, 2005

  2. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Many Apologies, Ati Motherboards ( Crossfire edition) will be
    available for AMD as well -- Anand only discusses the
    Intel ones in his article.......

    John Lewis, May 31, 2005

  3. John Lewis wrote:
    <snip a load of offtopic>

    What exactly does this have to do with nvidia based cards ?

    Sune Storgaard, May 31, 2005
  4. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    It was posted by me to both newsgroups. No turf wars intended.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jun 1, 2005
  5. John Lewis

    NightSky 421 Guest

    <snip>

    The X800 solution might be affordable to some of us mere mortals, but I
    highly doubt the X850 will! Not only that, but it was my understanding that
    the R520 will be out in the fall. It's good to see ATI counter nVidia like
    this, but I think the X800 and X850 Crossfires will be an unattractive
    purchase by the time consumers can get their hands on it. Not only that,
    but supply is a big issue too. As for me, I will want my next video card to
    have Pixel Shader 3.0 support as I'm sure is the same for a lot of other
    users in here. Anyway, I had no plans to change video cards until next year
    regardless of developments like this. My 9800 Pro is doing just fine for
    what I want now and in the foreseeable future.

    NightSky 421, Jun 1, 2005
  6. John Lewis

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Jun 4, 2005