ATI 'Fudo' VPU ~ 300 million transistors

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by R500-- R520, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. R500-- R520

    R500-- R520 Guest

    'Fudo' is the name of ATI's next major VPU. Also known as R520.

    R520 'Fudo' should also probably give us a good indication of what to
    expect from ATI's VPU for Nintendo Revolution and the VPU for
    Microsoft Xenon

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18232

    The R520 "Fudo" could have 300 million transistors

    Double the number of the R420

    By Fuad Abazovic in Londinium: Thursday 02 September 2004, 16:22

    ATI'S FUTURE R520 graphics chip could have as many as 300 million
    transistors on it, it has emerged.
    We don't have the exact number yet, but in a conversation with a
    source, we were reminded that with every single chip generation ATI
    ended up with twice as many transistors as the previous chip.

    If we take into account that the R420 chip codenamed Loki and
    commercially known as X800 series ended up with number close to 150
    millions of transistors, the 300 million figure may be close to the
    mark.

    ATI decided not to go for Shader Model 2.0b with its new generation
    and saved some 60 million transistors since otherwise it would have
    225 million, the number that Nvidia ended up. This also made the ATI
    card less advanced but easier to produce.

    We are prettu sure that Fudo, R520 will end up with Shader Model 3.0+
    not 4.0, as this one will be out with Longhorn late 2006. If you think
    about it we will be talking about R620 at that time and I am sure that
    this one will have Shader Model 4.0 support.

    We all know that this chip will use 110 nanometre marchitecture as ATI
    never likes to take the chances with a non proven process and high end
    chip while we will see some of chips built with 90 nanometres in 2005.

    Imagine what can you put into 300 million transistors, many new
    pipelines and much more memory as well as some wicked shaders.

    R520 comes in the first half of 2005 anyway so I would expect to see
    it sometime in May if not earlier, just a year after the R420. µ

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18232

    R500-- R520, Sep 3, 2004

  2. R500-- R520

    First of One Guest