ATi numbering system?...quick question

Discussion in 'ATI' started by SL, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. SL

    SL Guest

    Hello folks,

    I, like many others have often wondered why the numbering of the video cards
    does not go in a neat order. I am an (still crying) old 3DFX user. I went
    with user opinion and gamers reviews of nvidia and ati. I chose ati and
    have been happy for the most part. But I have yet to understand the pecking
    order of their cards to some fine degree.

    With the 3dfx series, It was pretty straight forward. A Monster 3D Voodoo1
    was not as good as a V2, V3 etc... It seemed pretty scalable. But there
    is variation in the ati line it seems that can make a lower number (ex 9500)
    be better than a (ex 9600).? I happen to have a 9500 pro 128meg and bought
    it at a good price for the time. I am quite happy with it. Prior to that
    was a Radeon VE 32meg. Again, happy.

    Are there any sites that describe this pecking order precisely? I would be
    curious to see a timeline on their series.

    Thanks all,

    SL

    SL, Oct 30, 2003

  2. SL

    Ville Viking Guest

    Older and never series that partially overlap each other performance vice
    is confusing for sure. This should be quite close as far as the Radeon 9xxx
    is concerned (slower to faster):

    Radeon 9200 SE
    Radeon 9000
    Radeon 9200
    Radeon 9000 Pro
    Radeon 9200 Pro
    Radeon 9100
    Radeon 9500
    Radeon 9600 SE
    Radeon 9600
    Radeon 9600 Pro
    Radeon 9800 SE
    Radeon 9500 Pro
    Radeon 9600 XT
    Radeon 9800
    Radeon 9700
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Radeon 9800 XT

    They are not making it easy for us consumers.

    /Ville

    Ville Viking, Oct 31, 2003

  3. SL

    TMack Guest

    Probably a fair summary with one MAJOR error - the 9600SE is a cut-down,
    crippled piece of crap that will not come close to a 9500 non-pro. It only
    has a 64 bit memory bus so it simply cannot compete. It is also worth
    commenting that the difference between a 9600 non-pro and a 9500 non-pro
    depends very much on which game is being played and at what settings - 9600
    is better in some, 9500 is better in others.
    Although the commentary is in German it is worth looking at this article
    which compares 9500/9600/9700/9800
    http://www.3dcenter.de/artikel/r9500+9700+9800_vs_gffx5200+5600+5800/
    Unfortunately it doesn't include the SE series but it provides a VERY
    comprehensive set of comparative benchmarks for the 9500/9600/9700/9800
    series.

    Tony

    Tony

    TMack, Oct 31, 2003
  4. SL

    Ville Viking Guest

    Well, not easy as stated.

    Another one that is tricky to place correctly in that list is 9800SE that
    exists with both 128 and 256 bit memory bus. And there are even some LE and
    LELE flawored 9200, 9700 and 9800 thant could be included.

    Some mess they have created for us.

    /Ville

    Ville Viking, Oct 31, 2003
  5. SL

    SL Guest

    Thanks all,

    Thats just the info I was looking for. It is quite an overlapping list it
    seems. I like my 9500 pro. I dont have the one Ive read about with the L
    shaped memory that can be overclocked. My cpu is a 2000+ and I just dont
    think I would benefit too much from overclocking the card versus wear/tear.
    That is at least until I get another card like the 9800 series with some tv
    capture ability.

    thanks again,
    SL

    SL, Nov 1, 2003
  6. SL

    Skid Guest

    Actually, you CAN overclock your 9500 Pro, and you can squeeze out a decent
    performance increase. All you need to do is flash the bios and use a free OC
    utility. Search the tweaking forum at www.rage3d.com for "overclock 9500
    pro" for details.

    Skid, Nov 1, 2003