ATI RADEON 9800 AIW 128 TV TUNER - I've found how to fix it!! Hope this helps.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kevin G, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Kevin G

    Kevin G Guest

    FOR XP (and possibly win 200) only.
    If you are having any of the following problems with an ATI RADEON
    9800 128 SE or PRO tv tuner, try what I did.

    When loading TV You get ATIMMC.EXE had a problem … or something
    similar
    The TV Tab does not show where expected.
    There is no way to tune the tv.

    I have visited several other sites on my quest for a solution and
    finally found a combination which seems to work for me.

    The links – for your interest are: -
    http://www.atitech.ca/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html
    http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3317.html
    http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/2575.html
    http://www.talkroot.com/archive/topic/6371-1.html
    http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=328
    http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?t=3856
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297532

    though in no particular order.

    What I did to solve the problem is: -
    Turn off the over-clocking of my motherboard, just in case.
    1. Download Cat-uninstaller.exe on ati site at
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

    2. Download the Directx 9.0b patch at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825116

    3. Download wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c.exe ( a quick google
    search will turn you up a link or two.)

    4. download WMEncode.exe (I think I got this from the Microsoft site.)

    5. download the latest (v9 Media Centre) mmc-9-0-0-0.exe from ati.

    6. download the MDAC/DAO from ati (mmc-8-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe)

    7. get the DVD decoder if you are going to use it (aticdwiz-v2-1.exe).

    8. Now here's the best bit – have you got a strong input signal on the
    composite? I found direct input from my video worked best.

    Follow the sequence below – and if anyone says "don't worry about
    that" or "you shouldn't do that" or similar, hit them over the head
    with your old graphics card! This worked! Most other suggestions did
    not!

    Installation steps.

    A. Run CAT-UNINSTALLER. If asked to reboot, do not do so.
    B. Run the Directx 9.0b patch. Reboot
    C. If windows starts its autodetect of the hardware, wait until
    nothing seems to be happening. On my machine the little icon was
    showing for ages in the tool bar. However, the moment you do the next
    step, the autoinstall seems to restart.
    D. Run wxp-w2k … to install the driver. If asked, reboot.
    E. Install wmencoder. Reboot if asked.
    F. Install mmc-8-1-0-0 … the mdac/dao. DO NOT REBOOT!
    G. Install aticdwix if you intend to run DVD. DO NOT Reboot!
    H. Install mmc-9 … Reboot.

    You should now see a TV icon on the media bar and the wizard etc
    should be available.

    If you have success, please let me know!!!

    Kevin Giles

    Kevin G, Jun 26, 2004