    the ATI Radeon X1300 in the same price range. I am looking for AGP,
    which card would be a better buy?

    Sam

    Sam Carleton, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Sam Carleton

    Paul_in_NC Guest

    <IMHO>
    Sam,
    I used to own a 9800 Pro and I also was looking for an inexpensive AGP
    replacement for it. If you are going to spend in the range of $100-$130 on
    an ATI chipset based AGP card, I would suggest this one instead of a 9800
    Pro or X1300:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102606
    ATI Radeon X850PRO: 8X AGP, 256MB GDDR3 RAM with a 256-bit memory bus

    I bought that exact card and have had zero problems with it. As an upgrade,
    it was a fairly significant leap in performance for the price.
    In my humble opinion, you will get a lot more "bang for your buck" with that
    card. Of course, I would expect the regulars within the a.c.p.v.a community
    here to chime in with their recomendations as well. Listen to what others
    here have to say on your situation.

    I hope that I have been of some assistance.
    Paul

    </IMHO>

    Paul_in_NC, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Sam Carleton

    Kent_Diego Guest

    This is a great card at a great price:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102606
    3 or 4 times faster than a 9800Pro or X1300

    Kent_Diego, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Sam Carleton

    Fidelis K Guest

    I second the X850 Pro. I got it NIB for $130 on Ebay and it replaced a 9600
    AIW. The 850 blew out the 9600.

    Fidelis K, Oct 14, 2006
  5. Totally agree with the others. Any X800 (except the 8 pipe SE or GT
    gimmick cards) is vastly superior. The fastest 1300 is not much/any
    better than a 9800 Pro.

    For once, Tom's actually has something useful!
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
    Compare the 1300 to just about anything else. (I think he's got a typo
    in here, listing an x1600 of some sort as an overachieving "1300 XT OC CF")

    Here's a rundown of raw fillrate and memory bandwidth.
    http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=0
    Those parameters aren't everything, but do give an idea of raw power.

    The remaining X800 and X850 cards being sold off are a great deal for
    peeps upgrading older AGP systems.

    (Does anyone know if ATI has stopped prodution of that family of chips?)

    -Greg

    Greg Campbell, Oct 14, 2006
  6. Sam Carleton

    cheap Guest

    The 1300xt (not the 1300pro) is a "new" model that is just last
    year's slowest X1600 card renamed to x1300xt. More bullshit from
    overpaid marketing types.

    I picked up a plain x1300 for $52 for a secondary system. About $15
    more than the worst video cards. No fan and works well for old
    games at say 1024x768. Avivo etc.

    Wouldn't suggest it for the latest generation of corporate sponsored
    games for expensive video cards.

    cheap, Oct 15, 2006
  7. Sam Carleton

    Frodo Guest

    In general the 9800 Pro is going to be faster then the X1300.
    Check out the X800XL, they are cheap on EBay.

    Frodo, Oct 15, 2006