ATI Radeon Rant - No Stereo 3D Support

Discussion in 'ATI' started by 4DMan, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. 4DMan

    4DMan Guest

    ATI Radeon Rant - No Stereo 3D Support

    Why is it that the most expensive video boards on the market , ATI, have zero
    support for true stereo 3D graphics? You spend $300-$400 and then find out
    there are no stereo 3D drivers support of any kind.
    NVidia has released dozens of drivers for true stereo 3D. In fact, it's well
    known in the 3D groups that if you want to do stereo 3D you almost have to get
    an NVidia graphics card.
    You can go on all you want about few people using stereo 3D, or that there are
    third party drivers you can buy, but what it comes down to is that the NVidia
    company is offering more features for less money.

    Having said that, I will say I think the ATI Radeons are great. But I think they
    are taking advantage of us, in fact ripping us off, by not offering a 3D stereo
    driver for the Radeon cards.

    My next video card will be an NVidia unless ATI resolves the problem.

    P.S. What all this means is that if your going to use 3D shutter glasses, VR
    HMD's (Virtual Reality Head mounted displays), or other stereoscopic devices you
    should buy an NVidia card because ATI gives no support at all for stereo 3D.
    It's ashamed.

    4DMan, Jun 30, 2003

  2. 4DMan

    patrickp Guest

    So buy an NVidia card. ATi knows perfectly well that the revenue and sales
    they may lose from not having 3D software is minimal - might even be less
    than the cost of developing it! - so they're unlikely to bother.

    So vote with your wallet. You think ATi cares? ;-)

    patrickp

    patrickp, Jun 30, 2003

  3. 4DMan

    J.Clarke Guest

    Personally, I got a board that supported that crap many years ago and
    played with it for a while. Decided that it was pretty much a worthless
    gimmick and it sits on a shelf somewhere now. And that capability has
    never been a consideration since.

    If this was really important to a significant portion of the market,
    then somebody would have put it in the standards a long time ago.

    J.Clarke, Jun 30, 2003
  4. 4DMan

    SST Guest

    Umm, ok - will do!