ATI Radeon X600 SE or nVidia GeForce 6800: need quick answer, thanks

Discussion in 'ATI' started by JEC, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. JEC

    JEC Guest

    I am asking the same question at the nVidia newsgroup. I don't want a
    war between the two names, just want to know which card I should go with.

    I am doing a configure to order system (which I want to process asap)
    and I can get:
    256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
    or
    256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 add $140
    other options are
    128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
    subtract $40
    or
    256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X850 XT add $500
    (this one is out of the question, too expensive)

    I'll be hooking it up to a 20" wide screen lcd. I don't do intense
    gaming except on rare occasion, but I do use photoshop a lot for digital
    imaging. Which card will do? Why is the 6800 more expensive for what
    looks like the same memory as the Radeon x600?

    Thanks for any help!

    JEC, Jul 27, 2005

  2. JEC

    Flow Guest

    Flow, Jul 27, 2005

  3. JEC

    JEC Guest

    JEC, Jul 27, 2005
  4. JEC

    J Guest

    The X600 I got is a real POS!! If you know what I mean. Half of the options
    don't work like the FM, Video Capture and some other things....
    ATI sucks IMHO

    J, Jul 27, 2005
  5. JEC

    DDC Guest

    Not just a bit faster the 6600series score around 8000 point in
    3dmark03 that is for the gigabyte ant the bfg one.

    the x600 would probably do 4500, imo.

    DDC, Jul 27, 2005
  6. JEC

    Thomas Guest

    For Photoshopping, you'll just be using 2D. The 2D speed of all cards of the
    last 5 years is about the same. The more expensive cards are faster in 3D,
    but if you dont use the PC for gaming, it's no use.

    If you indeed only game very occasionally, you could stick with the x600.

    What resolution will you be using on the 20" screen? I dont know if you'll
    be needing dual-link DVI or something like that...

    Thomas, Jul 27, 2005
  7. I have the 24 inch 1920x1200 Dell LCD. AN AIW 9600 drove its VGA input
    perfectly. The DVI on my AIW X600 drives it at least as well.

    The downside to my X600 is the TV portion. Every so often vertical lines
    appear in the video, and capture tends to wedge itself into a catatonic
    unkillable state that requires a hardware reset. And the FM only tunes up
    to about 102 MHz, leaving the top 6 MHz of the US FM band out of reach.

    Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R, Jul 31, 2005
  8. I have a 24 inch Dell LCD with 1920x1200. The VGA output
    on an AIW 9600 drove it just fine. The DVI output on my
    AIW X600 drives it perfectly.

    Unfortunately, the X600 gets vertical lines in the video
    now and then. Capture to disk locks up the program now and then.
    FM won't tune above 102.

    Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R, Jul 31, 2005