    it had any problems? Should this card's 2D be fast enough, or should I
    get a better PCI card as any newer AGP would likely burn out due to
    the AGP voltage regulator.

    Larry Roberts, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Larry Roberts

    kevin weaver Guest

    I have a Voodoo 2 card I'll sell you cheap.

    kevin weaver, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Sorry. I can count on one hand the DOS only games that
    supported Glide. The Voodoo 2 would have no effect on a DOS system. As
    this is a DOS 6.22 gaming box I'm building for old EGA/VGA/SVGA games,
    no 3D is needed. I was just inquiring as to whether the Rage IIC AGP
    would be a good choice, or should I just get a newer PCI card, such as
    a Matrox variant.

    Larry Roberts, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Larry Roberts

    First of One Guest

    I had a Rage Pro 8MB AGP and two Rage II 2MB PCI cards at different times in
    a secondary PC. 2D performance in DOS was fast enough. Quake1 v1.06,
    MechWarrior2 and Doom1 ran without issue. Ultimate resolution and color
    depth were limited by the amount of video memory in the case of the 2MB
    cards. With 8MB they were not a problem.

    P.S. You can get PCI cards up to a Radeon 9600 or Geforce FX5700, though
    they are obviously overkill for DOS games.

    First of One, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Larry Roberts

    farmuse Guest

    tell you one thing it is really hard to beat a Matrox card for good
    2D clarity, color etc

    farmuse, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Larry Roberts

    First of One Guest

    True, though all 3dfx-branded cards (Voodoo3/4/5) also have excellent 2D
    clarity, same with most ATi-branded cards. Any time the chip producer is
    also the card builder, component quality control tends to be better.

    First of One, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Larry Roberts

    stratus46 Guest

    Larry, on a 233MHz machine , how would you KNOW if the graphics is
    slow? You do know that early AGP machines were barely faster than PCI
    AND the logic level voltages are higher than the 4x and 8x cards.
    Perhaps that's how thing got damaged.

    Just for grins, this Athlon 3200XP machine for this is dual boot into
    Win XP Pro or Dos 6.22. I have an old CAD package I still use and it
    runs best on DOS. I have an Athlon 1200 at work, also multi boot for
    the same CAD system for doing PC board work. The 1200 is just barely
    slower the the 3200 -- forget the 'actual' speed of 2200 Mhz. The
    difference is more like 10%. Under Windows however, the difference is
    much greater. Anyway, have fun with your 'memory lane' machine.
    GG

    stratus46, Jan 6, 2006