  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Looking for a video card i can uses like a Tivo or Replay any Sugestions?

    Guest, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Guest

    Mangyrat Guest

    i know its not a ati card but take a look at this TV card.
    http://www.leadtek.com/multimedia/winfast_tv2000xp_expert_1.html
    this is cut and pasted from the link

    Time-Shifting: you can pause, rewind live television and instant replays.
    Take your breaks during a TV show or movie and never have to miss a scene
    again.

    Mangyrat, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Guest

    yuki Guest

    The PC & tuner card combo can work pretty well, but I don't think it is as
    convenient to use as the standalone Tivo/Replay unit.

    Looking at some of the feedbacks in this NG & other forums, it may take a
    bit of experiments & tweaking before you get the PVR function working
    correctly. It could turn out to be a nightmare to get OS, video card, video
    driver & software all working properly & reliably.

    Having said that, I use my ATI PVR setup (one of the first Radeon AIW)
    everyday.
    One nice thing about the PC setup is that it is flexible, & you can use
    different software if you don't like the one you have. It is easy to add
    more disk space (just added a new 250GB disk).
    ATI MMC is more or less working fine for me, even with my modest out-dated
    desktop hardware.
    I even actually got EazyShare remote TV to work with my laptop over a
    wireless network.

    There are some annoying things with my setup though.
    Once in a while, the scheduler would crash while trying to launch the
    recording software so I would miss an episode. Occasionally, my system clock
    would be off by several mins so I miss the ending of a show.
    The TV guide program (Gemstar Guide Plus) sometimes does not sync the TV
    programs.

    So it has its flaws, but I am keeping my PC setup for a while. In fact I am
    thinking about getting a 2nd tuner card so I can do P-in-P or watch another
    program while recording a different one.

    yuki

    yuki, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Guest

    ANTant Guest

    Also, check out BeyondTV: http://www.snapstream.com/ which is superior to ATI's
    MMC. However, it still has missing features (closed caption, TV out overlay,
    etc.) I am looking for.
    --
    "Applied mathematics will always need pure mathematics, just as ant-
    eaters will always need ants." --Paul Halmos
    | |o o| | E-mail: or
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

    ANTant, Feb 16, 2004