ATi X1800XT 512Meg spotted at Newegg @ $599...........

Discussion in 'ATI' started by John Lewis, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    ...... fleetingly.....now out of stock.......

    See:-

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102624

    No 256Meg versions listed yet.

    No sign of any X1800 XT at ZipZoomFly........not even listed
    yet..........

    ATi's attempt at volume shipments ?

    "Volume shipments of X1800XT by November 5". But November 5 is a
    Saturday. I wonder if ATi even looked at a calendar before pulling
    that date out of the air. Maybe things will be better next week.

    Also, the Sapphire X1300 vanilla is in stock at Newegg @ $95

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102622

    And the Sapphire X1800XL is in stock at $389.

    John Lewis
    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    John Lewis, Nov 3, 2005

  2. John Lewis

    Sam Snide Guest

    Who the hell would spend that much on a friggin video card?

    Sam Snide, Nov 3, 2005

  3. John Lewis

    Strychnine Guest

    That's more than an Xbox 360!!!!

    Strychnine, Nov 3, 2005
  4. John Lewis

    Sam Snide Guest

    And from the graphics I saw of XBox 360 on a hi-def monitor, it could not be
    any better

    Sam Snide, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Gotta give it a few weeks (maybe less) for the price to come down. It looks
    like New Egg's the only one whose got them, so they're gonna charge a good
    markup.

    Tony DiMarzio, Nov 4, 2005
  6. John Lewis

    Alfie [UK] Guest

    Maybe that's a nod to the UK, this Nov 5 is the 400 year anniversary of
    Guy Fawkes trying to blow up the British Parliament :)

    Alfie [UK], Nov 4, 2005
  7. No comparison with an Xbox 360.

    Reggie Hillier, Nov 4, 2005
  8. John Lewis

    McGrandpa Guest

    snip

    and probably damn well worth it over the 360!!!
    McG. <immune to consolitis>

    McGrandpa, Nov 4, 2005
  9. John Lewis

    The Chronic Guest

    If a video card costs $599, I want it to have video out for an Imax display,
    so that I can watch Buttman's backdoor bitches on an 80 foot screen.

    The Chronic, Nov 4, 2005
  10. John Lewis

    First of One Guest

    Out of all the X1800 chips, ATi probably picks out 5-10% that'll reach XT
    speeds, then sells the cards for a good premium. :) The X1800XT (or the
    upcoming 7800 GTX512, for that matter) arose from careful binning; it is not
    the product of advanced technology.

    First of One, Nov 4, 2005
  11. John Lewis

    NightSky 421 Guest

    FWIW, I have seen the Sapphire X1800XL show up at one local retailer here in
    Edmonton, Alberta for $580 plus sales tax. For comparison's sake, a 7800GT
    typically sells for $460 to $480, and a 7800GTX sells for about $660. It
    should be interesting to see how much the X1800XT will sell for up here.
    Anyone know how much warranty Sapphire is offering on the X1800XL?

    NightSky 421, Nov 4, 2005
  12. John Lewis

    First of One Guest

    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16600&promoid=1046

    There you have it, Sapphire X1800XL for $480 CAD. Still a crapload of money
    for a non-flagship video card IMO. Someone on the NCIX forum got the core up
    to 575 MHz on stock cooling. Standard Sapphire warranty is 2 years; this
    card shouldn't be any different.

    First of One, Nov 4, 2005
  13. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Unless they follow ATi's lead on their own boards ( built by
    Sapphire?) where warranties have recently been reduced to
    1 year across the complete product line.

    Seems as if ATi don't trust their own silicon to hold together and
    maybe their partners might not like to take the risk of longer
    warranties if ATi themselves are nor prepared to do so.
    The opposite of what many nVidia partners like eVGA and BFG
    are offering -- lifetime warranties.

    John Lewis, Nov 4, 2005
  14. John Lewis

    Rick Yerger Guest

    Forget the warranty, for $480CAD I want a friggin blowjob.

    Rick Yerger, Nov 4, 2005
  15. John Lewis

    Spaceman Guest

    Are you kidding? I'll have a system with a video card in it that is more
    advanced than an X1800XT and 7800GTX both, for 299.00 on Nov. 22nd.

    Spaceman, Nov 4, 2005
  16. John Lewis

    Doug Guest

    Spaceman, are you getting an Xbox 360? Once you get it I hope you post some
    comments on how games run on it (action games of course).

    Doug, Nov 4, 2005
  17. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    You mean of course the Xbox360..........wrong......... the Xbox360 GPU
    is a R520-style clocking at X1800XL rate... 500MHz. Plus there is
    going to be a very interesting shortage of decent software choices for
    quite a while --- unless you like EA Sports. And at $299, you will not
    be able to play any original Xbox games on it either - you need the
    hard-disk to store the Xbox 'emulation profiles'. Hope that you have
    at least a year's full- replacement warranty. And remember to keep ALL
    the ventilation holes clear and always free of lint and dust.

    Be very, very glad that you are not one of the rich dummies that went
    for any of the big games-bundles. They are going to be really pi**ed
    when they open the box and a bunch of redeemable coupons flutter out,
    or they get the dreaded Gamestop or EB notifications:--

    " GameStop.com reserves the right to substitute any given game in a
    bundle if that game becomes unavailable at launch. If this occurs, you
    will be notified and given the option of canceling your order before
    launch. "

    EB:-

    "In the unlikely event we need to modify the software or accessory
    selections, we will notify you at least 48 hours in advance, giving
    you an opportunity to cancel. "

    ..... canceling the order means canceling the WHOLE order. Gamestop
    doesn't care, they'll just rebundle (or unbundle) the Xbox360 and ship
    it to the next sucker in the shortage queue. Puppets on a
    supply-shortage string. The Xbox360 is on a strict first-come first
    serve allocation, and the shortfall on advance orders is now expected
    to be around 1 million units missing pre-Christmas delivery. The Ebay
    parasites will have a great feeding time on the 'must-have-before-
    Christmas' rich suckers.

    John Lewis, Nov 4, 2005
  18. John Lewis

    First of One Guest

    Sapphire always had a two-year warranty, back when ATi had three years.
    Sapphire didn't follow ATi's lead back then, what makes you think it will
    follow ATi now?

    You are also forgetting Visiontek offers a lifetime warranty on all its ATi
    cards. Quite ironic that Visiontek used to be a large nVidia reference board
    mfr.

    First of One, Nov 4, 2005
  19. John Lewis

    Kroagnon Guest

    What's cool is that they have an AGP version of the 256 meg board. Hopefully
    they will make a 512MB version. Would really help us who spent a load of
    cash on top of the line AGP system before PCI Express came out.

    Kroagnon, Nov 5, 2005
  20. John Lewis

    NightSky 421 Guest

    This is true, but I have to wonder how much the CPU would be holding back
    such cards. For example, I bought my 2.8GHz P4 (Northwood C) a little over
    two years ago and the CPU by itself (retail Intel box) cost me $450 Canadian
    (plus sales tax). There are guys who would even spend more than that on a
    CPU, but at the time of my purchase, it was very much a high-end processor.
    If I'd wanted a 3.0GHz or 3.2GHz processor back then, I would have ended up
    paying an extra $200 and $450 respectively. I'm sure someone with an Athlon
    64 with an AGP slot would be faring better than me with regards to feeding
    an uber video card, but for a lot of AGP-based system owners, the CPU has to
    be a question mark at this point.

    Thanks to the other posters for the info!

    NightSky 421, Nov 5, 2005