ati2dvag + XP service pack 2 (sp2) infinite loop Mobility Radeon 9700

Discussion in 'ATI' started by carl0s, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. carl0s

    carl0s Guest

    ati2dvag.dll + XP service pack 2 (sp2) infinite loop Mobility Radeon 9700

    This is just impossible. My customers Vaio VGN-S1XP has XP Pro, SP2, and
    just absolutely will not start with video drivers.

    I have tried drivers from omegadrivers.net, acer (ferrari 3400), IBM, sony
    (nothing newer than those supplied on CD there).. et cetera.

    One possible solution I have read is to replace the chipset specific AGP
    driver with a generic PCI-PCI bridge driver. This doesn't work either.

    I have tried the following:

    Clean install (SP2 slipstreamed.. I don't have anything older than SP2 to
    run from), same problem.

    Removed drivers with Catalyst-cleaner thing from ATI, removed ati*.* from
    \windows , \windows\system32, and \windows\system32\drivers. Moved oem*.*
    from \windows\inf.. still the same.

    Since the PCI-AGP bridge has been suspected, I installed the latest Intel
    Inf update, still no joy.

    Have changed the system driver/HAL from ACPI to "Standard PC" .. all
    hardware re-detected. still no joy.

    The BIOS on this machine has basically NO options other than LCD-expansion
    and boot order, so there's nothing to be done in there.

    Can anybody help? Since it's SP2, Direct-X 9.0c is pre-installed.

    I'm at my wits end.

    any help wold be greatly appreciated.

    thanks,
    Carl

    carl0s, Jun 30, 2005

  2. carl0s

    carl0s Guest

    Forgot to mention that I have the latest BIOS on this machine, although I'm
    getting the impression that Sony don't do much in terms of continuing
    updates for machines once they're released.
    I am most certain this is not a hardware fault since a lot of people have
    reported the problem since SP2, and there are no display abnormalities when
    running with vga/vgasave driver.

    carl0s, Jun 30, 2005

  3. carl0s

    Ian Guest

    Which Catalyst versions have you tried? Have you tried manually
    updating the device from VGA to a Catalyst, using Upgrade Driver?

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0526-4, 01/07/2005
    Tested on: 01/07/2005 22:17:25

    Ian, Jul 1, 2005
  4. carl0s

    carl0s Guest

    Thanks for the reply Ian.
    For anybody googling this in future, I have decided this was a (strange)
    hardware problem.
    The customers partner had an identical machine which had SP2 on it, so I
    went over there and tried his hard drive in this machine and it showed the
    same problem. I then replaced the customers HD and it worked ?!?
    Then it crashed.
    I found it was more likely to run for a short while if the machine was
    running on battery instead of AC, so I tried some headsink compound on the
    CPU to no avail.
    anyway it looks like the machine is faulty. Just strange how it only has
    this very specific problem.

    I had tried all variances of Mobility-Catalyst drivers I could find to no
    avail.

    carl0s, Jul 3, 2005
  5. carl0s

    patrickp Guest

    AIR some time back the 'Infinite Loop' problem was linked to
    inadequate PSUs. This was before the current crop of cards; probably
    even before any 9xxx cards came out. I don't recall for sure, as it's
    not a problem I ever had.

    If changing your power supply from AC to battery makes a difference,
    though, it seems to me this is something you should check out.

    Just my tuppence worth, Patrick

    <> - take five to email me...

    patrickp, Jul 3, 2005
  6. carl0s

    duggs

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    hey, I have the exact same problem. Did you find a way of fixing this by any chance? I have contacted Sony but as my laptop is way out of warranty they said it would cost about £650 for repair!

    duggs, Jul 14, 2008