Ati's quiet "bait and switch "on the X1900GT specifications..........

Discussion in 'ATI' started by John Lewis, Oct 17, 2006.

  1. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Since Ati has not been able to supply enough spec-speed R580 cores for
    the X1900GT to satisfy current demand, they are quietly dropping the
    core clock spec from 575MHz to 512MHz and trying to compensate by
    increasing the memory speed. The 'derated' product will STILL CARRY
    THE SAME PRODUCT NUMBER, so anybody expecting to buy a X1900GT in the
    near future needs to be alert to this change, especially if they have
    any GPU overclock expectations. Any purchaser of the X1900GT should
    check the GPU clock specification on the board manufacturer's website
    before purchase and the default GPU clock speed after purchase.

    Anyway, with the (hopefully) imminent arrival of the X1950Pro,
    purchasing a X1900GT is now not to be recommended AT ALL, especially
    if one is looking towards a current or future Crossfire setup.

    The X1900GT is being phased out in favor of the X1950Pro, which uses
    the RV570 chip with an integrated compositing engine, finally
    allowing symmetrical Crossfire using SLI-style bridges with a pair of
    these cards. ATi is 'quietly relaxing' the X1900GT spec to push out
    as many R580 cores as possible before shutting off the product. Not at
    all surprising from ATi's business perspective, since the R580 is a
    large and extremely expensive die.

    See:-

    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2858

    for the full details on the X1950Pro and the issues with regard to the
    X1900GT.

    The article's author Derek Wilson has some very harsh words for ATi's
    deceptive marketing practices with regard to the unannounced changes
    in the X1900GT specifications. See page 2 of Derek's article.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Oct 17, 2006

  2. John Lewis

    dangtranvu Guest

    Oh good grief. This spec change was reported on Beyond3D over a month
    ago on September 7. The news article is still on their news page near
    the end if you want to go see it. They also did not just only reduce
    the core frequency, but they also increased the memory frequency from
    600 MHz to 660 MHz to compensate. And if you look here where there are
    benchmarks of both old and new models, the difference amounts to about
    2-4 fps. So, big freaking whoop.

    http://www.hardware.fr/articles/639-12/comparatif-gpu-dx9-200-350.html
    http://xtreview.com/review148.htm

    dangtranvu, Oct 18, 2006

  3. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Thanks for the pointer --- I did not see this article. However, is ATi
    and their board partners also relabeling the product clearly as
    "revision 2", and showing the new GPU and memory clock frequencies
    on the outside of all packages plus a "change" insert with the
    included documentation ? For a major spec change as this, the failure
    to rebrand the product is a no-no, and 2-4fps change is indeed
    important regardless of your assertions to the contrary, especially if
    the final fps is 50fps or below.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Oct 18, 2006
  4. John Lewis

    First of One Guest

    Most newreaders have the capability to filter out posts from specified
    authors. Use it.

    First of One, Oct 19, 2006
  5. John Lewis

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    So what has that to do with John's informative post? I hang out here and
    it's all new news to me and I'm grateful to John. If you don't have
    anything constructive to offer why bother posting. I'm reasonably sure that
    no one is interested in your "I knew about it first" post.

    Ed Forsythe, Oct 19, 2006
  6. John Lewis

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Sorry First - My post was meant for dangtranvu :(

    Ed Forsythe, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't hear about this.

    Tashfeen Bhimdi, Oct 19, 2006