ATI's R520 silicon apparently "fantastic" - set to smash GF 7800 performance

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Guest, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050830_205000.html
    ATI's R520 silicon "fantastic" - sources

    By Wolfgang Gruener, Senior Editor

    August 30, 2005 - 20:50 EST

    Chicago (IL) - After weeks of delay, final silicon of ATI's next graphic
    chip generation, code-named R520, apparently made it through the production
    line. According to sources, quality and performance of the chip exceed
    initial expectations, allowing the company to announce serious competition
    for Nvidia's 7800 GTX possibly in a matter of weeks.

    Nvidia may be sweeping the high-performance graphics market with its seventh
    generation GeForce, but ATI made significant strides in preparing its next
    graphics chip and is likely to set new records in graphic performance.
    Credible industry sources told Tom's Hardware Guide that the R520 may debut
    with clock speeds in the range of 700 MHz and a completely redesigned
    graphics architecture.

    Compared to 7800 GTX, our sources claim that the R520 can best Nvidia's
    performance and image quality levels in any scenario. Nvidia recently came
    under fire with accusations that the company uses "driver cheats" for its
    7800 series to increase frame rate performance on one side but sacrifizes
    image quality on the other. While we have to wait for the final product to
    verify itsactual capability, ATI may have in fact a chip in its hands that
    could force Nvidia to release a new flagship for its 7800 series.

    Ahead of the R520, ATI is expected to to release its Crossfire dual graphics
    support. Several vendors told Tom's Hardware Guide that motherboard designs
    are finalized and that the industry at this time waits for ATI to officially
    introduce the technology. Crossfire boards are expected to be priced about 5
    to 10 percent below SLI boards.

    Guest, Sep 1, 2005