ATI's Richard Huddy talks X360's 'Xenos' GPU + forthcoming R600 GPU for PCs

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by AirRaid Mach 2.5, May 26, 2006.

  1. http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060525104243.html

    ATI Promotes Forthcoming DirectX 10 Graphics Chip.

    ATI's R600 to Be the Fastest DirectX 9 Chip in History - ATI

    by Anton Shilov

    [ 05/25/2006 | 10:43 AM ]

    ATI Technologies Thursday disclosed some of the details concerning the
    code-named R600 graphics processing unit (GPU) and said the part will
    not only support the new features and unified shader architecture, but
    will also become the company's highest performing graphics chip when
    it comes to wide-spread DirectX 9 applications.

    R600 - DirectX 9 Champ

    "The R600 will be [absolutely] the fastest DirectX 9 chip that we had
    ever built," said Richard Huddy, the head of ATI Technologies'
    software developers relations department, at a press conference in
    London, UK.

    Mr. Huddy was asked whether the R600's already well-known unified
    shader architecture will suit well for the wide-spread DirectX 9 games,
    which were developed with dedicated pixel and vertex processors in
    mind. The answer implies that users, who will buy the R600-based
    graphics cards early, will get top-class performance even in existing
    applications.

    Unified Shader Architecture May Boost Performance

    Mr. Huddy said that Xbox 360 game console, which sports developed by
    ATI Xenos graphics core with unified shader architecture and 48 shader
    processors, loses 20% to 25% performance in pixel-shader limited games,
    when its graphics chip is configured as non-unified, e.g.,16 processors
    work strictly on vertex shaders, whereas 32 are assigned for pixel
    shaders.

    Microsoft Corp. pushes unified shader language for pixel, vertex and
    geometry shaders in its Windows Vista graphics application programming
    interface (API) - DirectX 10. As a result of that, graphics hardware
    designers should deliver their chips with unified shader engines at
    some point in future in order to more efficiently support the new API.
    Unified shader processors allow graphics chip to configure itself
    flexibly for every frame, which provides additional horsepower to the
    most demanding part of the workload.

    Traditional GPUs have dedicated pixel shader and vertex shader
    processors. In cases, where a frame being rendered contains a lot of
    geometry and just a few pixel shaders to determine colour, the
    performance is limited by vertex shaders, while pixel processors are
    standing idle. GPUs with unified shader processors will have special
    scheduler inside them, which will determine the load from pixel, vertex
    and geometry shaders and then assign appropriate number of processors
    for every kind of work. This will allow to utilize all the computing
    power of the GPU, believes ATI. Nevertheless, rival Nvidia Corp.
    believes that implementation of a unified shader architecture should be
    gradual and cautious.

    R600 to Bring More Horsepower

    Back in 2002 ATI also unveiled the world's first DirectX 9-supporting
    GPU, which offered breakthrough performance in DirectX 8-based games,
    mainly because it sported 8 pixel processors - two times more
    compared to rival GeForce 4 Titanium - and 256-bit memory bus -
    also about two times faster than that of the GeForce4 Ti.

    The code-named R600 visual processing unit may repeat the success of
    its grand-grand predecessor, as, according to sources familiar with the
    plans of ATI Technologies as well as some media reports, ATI R600 will
    have 64 unified shader processors - an unprecedented number so far,
    16 texture units - inline with today's GPUs, clock-speed beyond
    650MHz and support for high-speed GDDR4 memory controller. Rival Nvidia
    G80 will have lower amount of shader processors and will also have
    "hybrid", not unified, micro-architecture. Neither ATI, nor Nvidia
    commented on specs of future products.

    However, there may be a slight problem for ATI: Microsoft is not going
    to release DirectX 10 API for Windows XP, but only for Windows Vista,
    which may mean that ATI's R600 hardware will be able to show itself
    in all its glory only when used in conjunction with Microsoft's new
    operating system.

    AirRaid Mach 2.5, May 26, 2006

  2. AirRaid Mach 2.5

    First of One Guest

    DX10 needs Vista. Vista will be released "when it's done", which presumably
    means it will be delayed further from its Q1 2007 target. After that, many
    people still won't jump on the bandwagon until Vista SP2 ships. :) Even if
    game support for DX10 becomes widespread (alienating all XP users in the
    process) It'll be another 1-1.5 *years* before we start seeing any benefit
    from the unified shader architecture, if there are any benefits at all.

    First of One, May 26, 2006

  3. AirRaid Mach 2.5

    Xflop Team Guest

    AirRaid Mach 2.5 wrote:

    "The R600 will be [absolutely] the fastest DirectX 9 chip that we had
    ever built,"

    Which is different than
    "ATI's R600 to Be the Fastest DirectX 9 Chip in History."

    Xflop Team, May 26, 2006
  4. AirRaid Mach 2.5

    James Luff Guest

    Indeed, any DirectX 10 gfx cards released now are going to be a complete
    waste of money in my opinion. Technology will improve hugely before any
    games actually take advantage of DirectX 10 making anything you buy now
    pretty much redundant.

    James Luff, May 26, 2006
  5. AirRaid Mach 2.5

    Zomoniac Guest

    Indeed. My comp's been playing up, I was going to give it a big
    overhaul and upgrade but there's no point really. I'll stick it out and
    watch it struggle for six months and then buy an uber-ace DX10 rig
    fully Vista optimised.

    --
    Zo

    GamerTag: Zomoniac (2006FWC, COD2, FCI:p, GRAW, NBA 06, PGR3, Kameo, RR6, TRL)
    Last game completed: Guitar Hero (hard) (07/05/2006)
    Playing: NBA Live 06 (360) / Listening: Lit - A Place In The Sun

    Zomoniac, May 26, 2006
  6. AirRaid Mach 2.5

    Chris F Guest

    there'll still be idiots who spend £400 quid on one though, just
    because its the latest thing out.

    Chris F, May 26, 2006
  7. AirRaid Mach 2.5

    mmaker Guest

    Microsoft is apparently only going to release DX10 on Vista: that's
    very different from claiming that DX10 _needs_ Vista and can't be
    ported to XP.
    I'm sure that DX10 will have benefits, but no game company is going to
    release a DX10-only game when the majority of gamers are on XP. This
    whole thing seems crazy to me.

    Mark

    mmaker, May 26, 2006
  8. Exactly. I believe that DX10 will probably be ready before Vista. And if it
    is compatible with WinXP then I wouldn't doubt that hardware vendors will be
    banging on Microsoft's door to release it for WinXP so the hardware vendors
    can sell Dx10 product. Regardless if that happens, then Microsoft will
    probably release DX11 with Vista just to make it stand ou.

    HockeyTownUSA, May 29, 2006
  9. AirRaid Mach 2.5

    JLC Guest

    You'll never see DX10 for XP. DX10 is not backward compatible with older
    versions of DX. Also DX10 is basically what Vista is running on. It's a
    major
    part of the Vista OS. But the thing is that there's still a lot that DX 9
    can do that still hasn't been fully exploited. JLC

    JLC, May 29, 2006