Atlas Flyer 3400 by Hi-Grade - Bad Bios?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Jake Lakey, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Jake Lakey

    Jake Lakey Guest

    Hi

    I bought a secondhand Atlas Flyer 3400 by Hi-Grade which had a fault. I was
    told that it was, 'Flushed out with a bad bios.'

    It will enter the Bios screen, and I can change settings OK

    but when I try booting it stops at SDRAM at DIMM # 1

    See Picture http://freespace.virgin.net/peter.trudgeon/Laptop Fault.jpg

    It will not boot to Floppy, DVD/CD or Hard Drive/ although these are
    recognised in the Bios setting.

    Any advice would be appreciated as I have never taken a Laptop to pieces. I
    have built PC's so know a little. Would shorting the bios chip out for
    example be any use? And how could I do this?

    Thank you in advance,

    Jake

    Jake Lakey, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Jake Lakey

    Quaoar Guest

    Maybe its a bad DIMM slot or a bad DIMM. You will have to open the case
    or the trap door on the bottom to remove all but one DIMM and swap it
    around into the slots to find the bad slot or the bad chip.

    Quaoar, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Jake Lakey

    Jake Lakey Guest

    Thank you Quaoar, that sound a good idea,

    I will try that tomorrow and report back.

    Best Wishes,

    Jake

    Jake Lakey, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Jake Lakey

    Jake Lakey Guest

    Hi Quaoaar,

    I tried swapping memory chip as there are two slots (one empty) It booted
    but hung at the same point.

    I even tried booting without memory in but nothing happened.

    I don't have another memory chip to exchange and it's quite an expensive
    move to buy it if it may be something else.

    Thank you for your help,

    Jake

    Jake Lakey, Mar 24, 2006
  5. Jake Lakey

    Quaoar Guest

    When you swapped the RAM into slot #2, did the error reference slot #2?
    If it still referenced slot #1, then it likely is the slot, which is
    usually a mainboard replacement. If it said slot #2, then it is likely
    the RAM.

    Quaoar, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Jake Lakey

    Quaoar Guest

    My comment above works if the notebook does not require RAM in slot #1
    first. Do you know?

    Quaoar, Mar 24, 2006
  7. Jake Lakey

    Jake Lakey Guest

    Hi Quaoar,

    That is a good point - I am pretty sure that it hung at #1 - but I don't
    know whether it looks there.

    I cannot find much information on the Internet about the Hi-Grade Atlas
    Flyer 3400 just reviews. Not even who manufactored the motherboard.

    I don't know anywhere I could send the memory chip and bios chip to be
    tested.

    Thank you again for your help,

    Best Wishes,

    Jake