ATMEL AVR-programming using AVROSP on Linux? Does AVRDUDE supportself-programming bootloaders?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Antti Karttunen (remove .bu.la from the address), Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Cheers,

    Has anybody tried to port ATMel's own
    AVROSP ("AVR Open-source Programmer",
    see: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/tech_doc.asp?doc_id=9852 )
    for Linux? It seems otherwise quite generic
    code, except that the module SerialPort.cpp
    is wholly Windows-specific, so I need just
    to create the corresponding interface using
    standard Posix-interface to RS232-port.
    Other possibility would be to run the
    included Windows/DOS-executable AVRDUDE.exe
    under WinE in Linux, provided there doesn't come
    any problems with serial port settings, etc.
    Has anybody done that?

    Otherwise I would be quite happy to use
    Avrdude ( http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avrdude/ ),
    except that I don't see whether it supports ALSO
    programming with an AVR109-style
    self-programming bootloader (i.e. by uploading
    stuff to that bootloader via the serial port,
    without any intermediate "programming hardware").
    See Atmel's "Self Programming Application Note" at:
    http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/tech_doc.asp?doc_id=8053

    By fgrepping avrdude's source code (and NEWS-file) I get
    an impression that avrdude _does_ support programming
    through serial port and AVR910-style programmer,
    built according to Atmel's "In-System Programming Application Note"
    http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/tech_doc.asp?doc_id=8087
    I.e. the "standard" serial programmer which connects via an RS-cable to
    the PC, and to the programmed board (with the main AVR to be programmed)
    with "SPI-cable", that in turn is connected to
    MISO, MOSI, SCK, RESET, VCC and GND-pins of
    the processor.

    Yours,

    Antti

    Antti Karttunen (remove .bu.la from the address), Nov 8, 2004

  2. AVRDUDE can be used with AVR910-style programmers. There is also
    support for the Butterfly bootloader. And you can use non-standard
    baudrates with all RS232-programming protocols ;-)

    Don't forget to look at the docs for performance hints.

    /Jan-Hinnerk

    Jan-Hinnerk Reichert, Nov 9, 2004