    along until i can afford a new mobo, and, possibly, chip?
    thanks again!
    steve

    Cindy Rennick, Jan 10, 2004

  2. oh yeah, reason it says cindy in the subject line is cuz i'm at my wife's
    computer :) and i forgot to mention i left the PC running at the bios all
    day...came home and turned the monitor back on, and it was locked hard (no
    response from the keyboard).
    steve

    Cindy Rennick, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Cindy Rennick

    jamotto Guest

    Unfortunately no, in short, if it does what mine did it's just going
    to become more and more unstable until one day it's going to have
    problems booting/posting from there it just goes down hill:-(

    Just one thought did you every try using a different graphics card?
    Or tried using it in a different computer? I'm still hopefull that it
    is something else than the motherboard as they are expensive to
    replace(not so much the motherboard but all the other things that have
    to be replaced ,memory, processor etc. Mine cost about $250 for a
    processor, memory and motherboard. Not bad for a "I have no money"
    computer.

    jamotto, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Unfortunately no, in short, if it does what mine did it's just going
    yes, i've tried a different graphics card..an old generic geforce 2 mx400
    that was very stable when i used to run it. my experiment with moving the
    computer down the hall is far good. i moved it last night, left it running
    all night just sitting at the desktop (power management disabled in both
    bios and in windows), with the monitor on. got up this morning and it was
    still running. now, for about 3 hours, i've had diablo 2 running with 3
    windows explorer windows open, no crashes. so i've run some cable down the
    hall from my old computer room, plugged the PC now in my son's room into the
    router, and have net access. so i'm going out to run some errands with the
    wife now, and will leave D2, IE6, OE, and an explorer window open. only
    thing that's not plugged in now are my speakers :)
    steve
    ps for a mobo and chip, here in canada, i'm looking at about a hundred-20
    for a 2000+ and a 150 for an OK mobo...memory would be an extra hundred
    bucks..for a single stick of 512 ddr ram.

    Steve Rennick, Jan 10, 2004
  5. an update...
    pc's been running now for about 5 or six hours with diablo 2, IE6, OE, and a
    windows explorer open. i'm wondering if it's a power issue in the other
    room? hear me out...
    with the the three other PC's, all that's plugged in (and each is in a
    different room...each of my boys' bedrooms, and the master BR), there's the
    PC, the monitor, and some speakers plugged into either a power bar, or a
    multi-outlet (y'know, one of the xmas things that you're not supposed to use
    but in the little room where i've got MY machine, i've got the PC, a
    monitor, some speakers, a router, and a cable modem all plugged into the
    same outlet). also plugged into that outlet are a scanner and a printer, but
    those aren't necessarily on all the time. in addition, i've got a keyboard,
    a little battery recharger, and a massager (y'know, one of those ones that
    you attach to an office chair) plugged into the office wall (although not
    all of those are on all the time). anywhoo...PC's been stable now since last
    night...so i would say i've had it running for about 12 to 15 hours...
    i'll keep ya posted
    steve

    Steve Rennick, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Cindy Rennick

    jamotto Guest

    Please do update. I did not realize you had the wall socket so
    overloaded. You may also need to replace the surge suppressor
    according to what I have read they are to be replaced every 2-3 years.
    It seem's though everybody has their own opinion though.

    jamotto, Jan 11, 2004
  7. i now have 2 systems running in my boy's room (haven't moved mine back down
    the hall yet). i've got the computers each plugged into their own power bar
    (mine just has monitor and PC plugged in, his has monitor, PC and speakers).
    each power bar is plugged into the same outlet. and i've now had diablo2,
    OE, IE6, and a windows explorer window running pretty much all day, with
    nary a crash. here's what i intend to do when i bring it back down the hall.
    i have an extension cord already plugged into the wall. into it, i have the
    router, cable modem, and desk lamp plugged in. i will plug the PC, monitor,
    and speakers into the actual power bar. i will be leaving the printer and
    scanner NOT plugged in, unless i need them (and, when it comes to the
    scanner, it may NEVER be plugged in again, given the fact i now have a
    digital camera, which does way better quality anyway, gonna leave this
    machine running all night (D2, OE, IE6, and an explorer window), and see if
    it's still up come morning. look for an update
    steve

    Steve Rennick, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Cindy Rennick

    ratched Guest

    Overloading the socket is almost certainly what's causing your
    problem. But if it is a hardware conflict between mobo and graphics
    card, trying a graphics card with a completely different chipset (e.g.
    borrow a radeon or sth if possible) is not a bad idea. Did you say at
    one stage the PC crashed with just IE6 running? Were you downloading
    anything heavy, or loading detailed graphics on IE6? I guess if it's
    crashing with just basic apps, not games or demanding graphics/sound
    apps, and you've tried underclocking the system just using these apps,
    graphics/sound card incompatibilities are looking less likely.

    Anyway, good luck.

    Ratched.

    ratched, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Overloading the socket is almost certainly what's causing your
    PC's been up now for about 28-30 hours with nary a crash...have 2 IE windows
    up, OE, the windows explorer, xnews, and the boys were playing networked
    games (D2 and Warcraft 3) all afternoon. no crashes. machine's still in
    my boy's room...will move it back down the hall tonight, with the following
    configuration: an extension cord already plugged into the wall. into it, i
    have the router, cable modem, and desk lamp plugged in. i will plug the PC,
    monitor, and speakers into the actual power bar. i will be leaving the
    printer and scanner NOT plugged in, unless i need them (and, when it comes
    to the
    scanner, it may NEVER be plugged in again, given the fact i now have a
    digital camera, which does way better quality anyway). wish me luck :)
    steve

    Steve Rennick, Jan 11, 2004
  10. PC's been up now for about 28-30 hours with nary a crash...have 2 IE
    windows
    OK...moved PC back into MY computer room...gonna do the same stress test i
    did when i had it run for more than 30 hours. will see if it's still running
    in the AM.
    cya,
    steve

    Steve Rennick, Jan 12, 2004
  11. Cindy Rennick

    ratched Guest

    Luck! :)

    ratched, Jan 12, 2004
  12. your wishes seem to have helped, ratched! got home tonight, and my PC was
    still running...games and all! thank god i didn't rush out and buy a new
    mobo/chip...only to install it and have the same "brown-out" conditions
    apply...
    steve

    Steve Rennick, Jan 13, 2004
  13. Cindy Rennick

    jamotto Guest

    Now all we need is for ratched to spread wishes to all the threads in usenet :)

    jamotto, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Cindy Rennick

    ratched Guest

    ATT: alt.everybody
    May your problems be solved swiftly and with a minimum of expense.

    :)

    ratched, Jan 13, 2004