    as a slave?
    Thanks Larry.
    Using niece's computer

    Mariah, Jan 4, 2008

  2. Mariah

    Mariah Guest

    They were both set to Cable Select

    Larry

    Mariah, Jan 4, 2008

  3. Mariah

    Pen Guest

    Cable select should be set on both drives.

    Pen, Jan 4, 2008
  4. Mariah

    Larry Guest

    Installed the drive and it shows up in my computer as a DVD-RAM an it
    writes cd-rs yet i put a Sony DVD-R in it shows the drive as a CDwriter.
    Both DVD-rom an DVD writer jumper is set at cable select.Should it have
    been master and slave jumper setting?
    Thanks Larry

    Larry, Jan 4, 2008
  5. Mariah

    Ben Myers Guest

    Just a thought: Why not switch the positions (physical in the computer and
    connector on the drive cable), making the DVD writer the D: and master drive?
    The reasoning is that the newest and more powerful drive should be the master.
    This reasoning held true for a long time with hard drives. Why not with
    optical drives? Leave both jumpers CS... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 4, 2008
  6. Mariah

    Larry Guest

    Thanks for the Thought and the jumper info .

    Larry

    Larry, Jan 4, 2008
  7. did you install the new software that came with the drive? did you insert
    dvd+r or dvd-r media? if the software is nero it has a quirky way of
    working where you have to select the type of media (cd or dvd) and then
    follow prompts... if the software is sonic or roxio then it should
    automatically detect the type of media and tell you the amount of available
    space.
    ps. cable select (cs means that the priority/order/drive letter is assigned
    based on the drives position on the cable. position the drive on the end of
    the cable it is drive 0, the first drive, position it in the middle and it
    is drive 1, the second drive). master/slave designations are used as an
    alternative to cs, but with cs both drives on the cable are set to cs.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 4, 2008