    btw, Auidgy2 sounds great ;p
    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Ed

    Paul Guest

    You probably don't care any more, but you could verify that the SB
    was the source of the heat, by sticking a finger on the chip on the
    PCI card. For the sound card itself to have a measurable effect
    on the case air, the chip would have to get hot enough to melt
    (that is because it is a poor radiator of heat). The CPU on the
    other hand, is equipped with an effective cooling system, so if
    the dissipation went up another 40W, the heatsink would still be
    cool enough to touch. If a software driver causes the CPU to go
    into a 100% busy-wait loop, you could easily see a temp jump.

    It is good to hear you've got some hardware working for you -
    I'm in the process of putting a system together for someone, and
    need all the good karma stories I can find :)

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I checked for all the obvious stuff that I could and everything seemed
    fine with it otherwise, but now that I have the Audigy2 in I noticed
    something I wasn't expecting..... before with the onboard realtek or SB
    card in I always had to play games @ 800x600 (grafix settings=max but no
    AA stuff) because at higher res they would get choppy, I figured it was
    the Ti4200 just couldn't handle it, well I just played some 1942 and
    Call Of Duty(PROMO) @ 1024x768 and they run just fine now, wild!

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Oct 29, 2003