    If I need it, I don't have one on my power supply. Is it the wrong power
    supply or do I only need an adapter to plug from a standard 5,25" power
    connector?

    ppk2, Oct 27, 2003

  2. ppk2

    Guest Guest

    Yes, you do need that power, the new layout has independant power to the
    bus and CPU. You can find an ATX to P4 adapter on the internet with
    little trouble. Should run about 4 bucks, tops. (Though a place near me
    was asking 9.)

    Guest, Oct 27, 2003

  3. ppk2

    smithxpj Guest

    Yes...I'd seriously suggest that you do need it connected.

    This is certainly an interesting arrangement for an AMD motherboard.
    Up until now, I've only seen this auxiliary 12v power connector on P4
    boards. The additional heatsinks around the 12v connector appear to be
    associated with extra switch mode power regulators that make use of
    this supply.

    MSI look like they have done some smart engineering to get power to
    the CPU in addition to what comes through the normal ATX connector.
    Makes for shorter runs of the printed circuit tracks that have to
    carry the high currents.

    A well made motherboard that I've got no complaints about.

    smithxpj, Oct 28, 2003
  4. ppk2

    Inglo Guest

    I got one for ~$4. But you depending on your CPU it might not really
    make a difference. If your using a newer Thoroughbred or Barton, yes
    use it. Older Thunderbirds its not that important.
    I'd suggest upgrading your PSU eventually.

    Inglo, Oct 30, 2003