ATX FRON PANEL USB WIRING QUESTION - MSI PM8M2-V

Discussion in 'Asus' started by rpboll, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. rpboll

    rpboll Guest

    I have fried a motherboard before trying to configure the USB before so
    I am proceeding with caution on this one.

    My ATX Case has two USB ports with each having wiring accordingly (each
    a single wire plug-in with markings)

    RED-----------Marking: +VCC
    GREEN---------Marking: 2+D
    BLACK---------Marking: Ground
    YELLOW--------Marking: 2-D

    The MSI PM8M2-V Motherboard pin configuration:

    yellow--------Info: (10 pin) USB0C
    black---------Info: Ground
    red-----------Info: USB0+
    blue----------Info: USB0-
    green---------Info: Indicated "VCC"

    The confusing part is that the color scheme of the case doesn't match
    with the motherboard. I was about to connect:
    RED to green (since they both indicate VCC)
    GREEN to red
    BLACK to black
    YELLOW to blue

    If anyone has a similar configuration with an MSI MB and ATX case --
    and has functional USB from the front panel, please check to see if
    this configuration is correct. Better safe than sorry.

    Thanks!

    RBollinger

    rpboll, Feb 18, 2006

  2. rpboll

    Paul Guest

    Following the pinout defined in your manual, and the names on the
    wires, should lead to success. I am a bit paranoid when it comes
    to computer case manufacturers, and I have a couple different
    Antec cases that had wiring errors. My procedure now, is to take
    an ohmmeter, and verify that a named wire goes to the correct
    pin on the connector. That will eliminate frying. Computer case
    manufacturers seem to know little about electronics.

    So, you can take your chances, and just hook it up, using the
    info in the manual. Or do a check first with an ohmmeter, so
    you know the case manufacturer knows what they are doing.

    I don't think the motherboard colors mean anything.

    Now, something that had me worried on your board, was the
    presence of USBOC on the header. That stands for USB
    Overcurrent, an active low logic input (grounded means
    the USB header is overcurrent). Manufacturers who don't
    provide fuses on the motherboard for VCC tend to use a
    signal like that. The computer case front panel would send
    the signal, and the computer cases I know of, don't seem to
    do that. Fortunately, in looking at a picture of your
    motherboard, I see the familiar green Polyfuse
    near the two USB headers. So I'm guessing that in fact
    they did put fuses on the headers. (The Polyfuse is an
    automatically recovering fuse, that closes when it cools
    off.)

    So it doesn't look like there is a worry about USBOC,
    and no need to connect anything to it.

    (upper right corner, two green things just below the
    mounting hole are Polyfuses, to the left of the two
    USB headers)

    http://www.ocer.net/article/a_upload/1122448750_3-.jpg

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 18, 2006

  3. rpboll

    tcsenter Guest

    The confusing part is that the color scheme of the case doesn't match with the motherboard.<<

    The motherboard USB pin headers do not use any color coding at all,
    they are all yellow (JUSB1/JUSB2). The only color coded pins on the
    motherboard are the front panel connections (FPIO), not the USB
    headers.

    Pay no attention to the color scheme, as motherboards rarely color-code
    the USB pins. Match the pin and wire descriptions:

    Vcc = Vcc
    USB - = D -
    USB + = D +
    GND = GROUND

    tcsenter, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Perhaps posting that in one of the MSI-related newsgroups might help a
    teensy bit :)

    Anthony Horan, Feb 19, 2006