au13 acting weird on boot

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Joey jo jo jr. shabadoo, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. A friend built a computer for me based on the maximumpc lean machine.

    FIC AU13
    512 meg ram DDR 400
    120 gig WD
    WIN XP PRO

    I have been having booting problems for the past week...
    Sometime it will boot into the os, other times it freezes up during
    post, other times it is very slow to find drives and won't boot in the
    os

    My friend was afraid I got a virus, so he was trying to boot from
    floppy boot disk and/or winxp, but it won't even boot to that.

    Could I have gotten a bad MOBO?

    If so, is FIC good about replacements??

    Is there a way to test the MOBO and know for sure if it is good or
    bad??

    TIA

    DJ

    Joey jo jo jr. shabadoo, Oct 15, 2003

  2. I have an AU13 and its a great stable board, sounds to me like a bios
    setting may be wrong. Post more specifics about your system, like what
    processor, etc.

    Memory timings could be set too aggresively or something like that. Did
    your friend overclock anything?

    Brian

    Brian Rhoades Jr., Oct 15, 2003

  3. Unlike the rest of the world, Western Digital hard drives have a
    jumper setting for "Single" device, as opposed to "Master" or "Slave". If
    the hard drive is the only IDE device on the cable, make sure it is set to
    "Single".

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Oct 23, 2003