    do I look for while shopping for receiver/amp? Question 3: Will I
    need any special cables?
    Thanks much. Bob

    Bob, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Bob

    empireAA Guest

    Answer 1: Yes. Answer 2:SPDIF. Answer 3: My suggestion is to get a 5.1-7.1
    speaker system(they come with a in-built reciever to decode AC3(Doldy
    Digital Surround) from your sound card. Check out the Creative site to get
    a general idea of the speaker system that best suits your needs and then
    shop around alittle. There are some very good companies that make comparable
    systems to Cambridge Soundworks and tend to be cheaper. As far as special
    connections go they should come with the sound card and speaker system.

    empireAA, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Bob

    Lenny Guest

    SPDIF is a poor choice for a PC soundcard like the Audigy series, as it can
    only carry a stereo signal unless sound is compressed, and the soundcard is
    not capable of compressing audio in realtime.
    Rather than buying a Creative sound system, I would recommend the Logitech
    Z680 instead. Monster sound, decent price. And, it comes as standard with
    the three-lead cable neccessary to get 5.1 audio out of it too..

    Lenny, Jun 1, 2004