Audio 24-bit .aif to mp3 conversion utilties?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by John Albert, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. John Albert

    John Albert Guest

    Hello everyone -

    I'm using a g4 MDD, running 10.3.9. I also can run OS 9.2.2 if necessary.

    I'm looking for a utility that can convert 24-bit, 44.1khz ".aif format" audio
    files to high-quality mp3's. These files will be placed on the net for anyone
    to download and listen to, free of charge (home-studio audio files created in Cubase).

    It's essential that:
    1. the created mp3's be "universally compatible" - that is, playable by ANYone
    who chooses to download and listen to them on other platforms -and-
    2. best possible quality in the aif-to-mp3 conversion for the bit rate I
    decide to use (will probably be either 160 or 192kbps files).

    Quicktime Pro doesn't seem to offer a "generic" mp3 file converter/creator.
    Seems like all you get is "mp4, AAC-LC" which I _assume_ is the iTunes Music
    Store format, is that correct? (I have never used the iTunes store, so if my
    assumption is wrong, please correct me - I want generic mp3 format ONLY.)

    What else can I use? I'd rather _not_ use the iTunes application, because
    frankly, it seems clunky and doesn't offer a simple "conversion tool". I'm
    looking for an application that can do with sound files what Graphic Converter
    does with picture files.

    I have an older copy of SoundJamMP (and a great program that was!) which runs
    under 9.2.2, and may resort to using that.

    But - are there any OS X native apps that can do this, as well?

    Thanks,
    - John

    John Albert, Jul 22, 2005

  2. John Albert

    Gerry Guest

    What is "clunky" about iTunes I use it on a daily basis for doing
    exactly what you want to do.

    1. Create a playlist for your files
    2. Drag your files to the playlist window
    3. From Preferences / Importing select the MP3 Encoder
    4. From the "Setting:" option select one of the defaults or create a
    Custom setting
    5. Click OK
    6. Select all the Tunes in your playlist
    7. From the Advance menu select "Convert Selection to MP3"
    8. Go make yourself a cup of coffee, iTunes will convert all your files
    while your gone.

    Gerry

    Gerry, Jul 22, 2005