Audio CD's OK, DVD's not recognized

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Molesworth, Feb 3, 2008.

  1. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    All,

    I have searched the web for weeks for my wifes' Acer.

    I used a Registry Cleaner to no avail. The following is my recent
    support message to Acer:

    Date Created: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
    Last Updated: 02/01/2008 07:22 PM
    Operating System: Windows XP

    Hi,

    I can play Audio CD's thro iTunes perfectly well, but when I insert a
    DVD, I can hear a sporadic whirring, but nothing appears within' My
    Computer', nor on the desktop. It simply doesn't 'see' the DVD.

    I have searched for a solution on the net, but apart from 'Reinstalling
    Software' in the Aspire manager, I have run out of options.

    I can't even reinstall as I don't have (and have never had) a password
    which is required to carry out this operation.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Regards

    Has anyone else had, and resolved, this problem?

    --
    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Feb 3, 2008

  2. Molesworth

    A Nother Guest

    "Molesworth" <> wrote in message

    > I can play Audio CD's thro iTunes perfectly well, but when I insert a
    > DVD, I can hear a sporadic whirring, but nothing appears within' My
    > Computer', nor on the desktop. It simply doesn't 'see' the DVD.

    Things I would try:

    Different player like http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/index.aspx

    Delete the DVD drive from the hardware list and reboot, letting Windows find
    and reinstall it

    A new drive.

    (YMMV)

    A Nother, Feb 3, 2008

  3. Molesworth

    doS Guest

    its called needing a new drive.get an Optiarc, works great in the lappys.

    doS, Feb 5, 2008
  4. Molesworth

    Wandering Guest

    Just some thoughts.

    Clean the laser lens.

    Have you been using DVD's from localizations other than your own? If so, you
    may need to update the firmware. You only get a limited number of these
    under the licensing stuff they put in these things these days.

    Check the Microsoft.Public.Windows groups - they will likely have good
    advice for you.

    If all else fails you can replace it, but that is no guarantee the
    replacement will work till you pin down the problem.

    You might uninstall the drivers, and then reboot windows to let it reinstall
    them.

    Definitely check for the latest drivers for the drive on the Mfg website.

    Don't let Window's update supply drivers for your hardware. If it has, try a
    rollback.

    Good luck.

    Wandering, Feb 5, 2008
  5. Molesworth

    Molesworth Guest

    In article <LFOpj.884$>,
    "doS" <> wrote:

    > its called needing a new drive.get an Optiarc, works great in the lappys.

    Thanks for that. Is it a straight swap? Drivers needed?

    --
    Molesworth

    Molesworth, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Molesworth

    doS Guest

    straight swap, no drivers,i replaced 3 of my laptops burners with the
    Optiarcs, its a Sony/NEC drive, you'll love it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118006

    doS, Feb 6, 2008
  7. Molesworth

    Eugene Maes Guest

    here is the driver section for the 3100 on acer:

    ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_3100/driver/

    EJM

    Eugene Maes, Feb 7, 2008
  8. Molesworth

    doS Guest

    so you think that will fix a dead drive?

    doS, Feb 7, 2008