Audio Midi Setup: Getting Dolby 5.1 set for digital out

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, Nov 1, 2009.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    This is still with leopard for a day or two. But the mac pro won't
    change :)

    I have toslink cables from the Mac to the stereo.

    With VLC, I can watch a 5.1 movie by setting the Audio Device to
    "Digital - encoded" (or some text akin to that). The stereo
    automatically notices the change in sound format and switches to dolby
    digital.

    However, the documented way to set the digital audio: use the Audio Midi
    Setup.app doesn't work for me.

    Properties for: Built-in Digital Output

    IOn the Audio Output section, I have "Digital Out", 48khz, and I am
    allowed to select Encoded Digital.

    BUT, In the "Configure Speakers", I am allowed to select "Multichannel",
    but it remains with the 2 speakers, and in the pull down menu, only
    "Stereo" is available, all others, including 5.1 are greyed out.

    i know I was once able to set it, but I do not recall the obscure and
    magic incantations that were made and what the position of the moon and
    stars was to allow the multichannel to offer 5.1 Surround as a possible
    speaker setup.

    Does this change with Snow Leopard ? And if not, what is the magic
    incantation to tell the Mac that I really do have a 5.1 capable stereo
    at the other end of the toslink cable ?

    It is rather stupid to have to fight a computer to convince it to allow
    me to specify 5.1 surround.

    I take it that for toslink in input, there is never any option to allow
    5.1 Surround or anything better than "Stereo" ?

    JF Mezei, Nov 1, 2009

  2. I just tried out the app and it appears to be fairly broken in 10.6.
    Speaker configuration is missing options, test tones don't work for a
    new configuration, and it crashed on exit.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 1, 2009