Audio playback hicks up after 4/5 secs with AC97 chipset

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Steven Verstrepen, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have recently bought a Soltek SL-86SPE-L motherboard with on-board AC97
    audio codec. I'm very pleased with it, except for one very annoying sound
    problem:

    When I play any multimedia file (this can be any file type, such as wav, mp3
    or even a MIDI file), the playback stops or hicks up for a while after
    approximately 4 seconds. The processor usage peeks for a moment (not more
    than 1 second), and after that, the playback continues without further
    problems.

    The problem occurs in every media player, even in the speaker test of the
    AC97 configuration program shipped with the motherboard.

    My system looks as follows:
    - Soltek SL-86SPE-L motherboard
    - Intel Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz with HyperThreading (also enabled in the BIOS)
    - 2x 256Mb DDRAM (333Mhz)
    - Cleanly installed Windows XP Professional with SP1
    - Maxtor 60Gb hard drive
    - No virus scanner

    I have tried it both with the drivers shipped with the motherboard and with
    the laters drivers I've got from the Internet.

    Does anybody have any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance,

    Steven Verstrepen

    Steven Verstrepen, Dec 22, 2003