audio recording problems

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Charlie, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    I can't get any levels to speak of trying to record live audio into my
    DP G4 (10.3.4) -- I've been using the iMic USB audio adapter with a sony
    ECM-261 -- a 12 year old electret condenser mono microphone-- and even
    though I set up my input levels (in the system prefs) at max, all I get
    is a very faint, low sound.

    I don't have another mic on hand to compare but I wonder if there are
    any settings I could be missing.

    I've selected the iMic as the default audio input for the MIDI setup
    utility and the LineIn program and of course Speaking Prefs. When I
    boost the volume up for the iMic in the system prefs, it doesn't reflect
    in the MIDI audio devices volume, where the mono is grayed out. If I set
    the MIDI audio device input to the highest level manually, the volume
    kicks back automatically to the middle point as soon as I start
    recording.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    -c

    Charlie, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Charlie

    noman Guest

    Probably obvious but in case you missed it -- you did set the switch
    on the iMic to mic-level rather than line-level, correct?

    noman, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    yes, it's set correctly.

    Charlie, Jul 18, 2004
  4. Charlie

    Marc Heusser Guest

    More of the obvious:
    Does the microphone require phantom power (iMic does not supply that if
    I am not mistaken)?
    Or does it have a battery? if so, could it be run down?
    Can you check the microphone with another device (miniDisc recorder etc)?

    HTH

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Jul 18, 2004
  5. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    OS 10.3.4, I meant Speech Preferences.

    Charlie, Jul 18, 2004
  6. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    This mic uses an AA battery, I installed a new one for this purpose. It
    also works on other devices, a Sony VOR tape reocrder, in this case.

    Charlie, Jul 18, 2004
  7. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    I get absolutely no sound from the mic input on the back of the machine,
    which is why I resorted to the iMic.
    I'm not aware of the iMic boost switch -- there is a switch to toggle
    between mic and headphones.

    I'm using this for voice over work on a 1.25 GH DP G4 (FW800)-- if you
    have a specific recommendation, for either mic and/or preamp I'd
    appreciate it.

    Charlie, Jul 19, 2004
  8. If you're talking about the physical switch on the iMic itself, it does NOT
    switch between mic and headphones. It switches the input between mic level
    and line level; in the mic position, it boosts the signal.

    Note that the direction of the switch is counter-intuitive. To use a mic,
    slide the switch *away* from the mic icon.

    If that switch is in the correct position, and you've boosted the Input
    Volume as much as you can in System Preferences and/or the recording app,
    but it's still too quiet, you need either a microphone preamp or a
    microphone that outputs a stronger signal.

    Wayne C. Morris, Jul 19, 2004
  9. Charlie

    noman Guest

    Wait a minute. At the very beginning of this thread I asked if you'd
    set the switch to mic-level rather than line-level and you said you
    had. Now it sounds like you believe the switch is doing something
    else altogether.

    The switch on the iMic is only for the input jack; it has no effect on
    the output at all. Its purpose is to switch the input from mic-level
    to line-level. With an unamplified microphone connected, it should of
    course be set to mic-level. You do this by moving the switch away
    from the input jack. The other position, close to the input jack, is
    for line-level inputs (tuner, tape deck, amplified mic, etc).

    noman, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    I borrowed the iMic from a friend who said that the switch toggles
    between input and output (mic and headphones as per the icon on the
    physical iMic ) -- I didn't see any documentation -- I assumed your
    question was about that.

    By now, I've tried it with the switch both close and away from the mic
    input -- the one close to the input shows a decent level in the system
    prefs but gives me a faint recording, the one away from the input gives
    me nothing on either recording or level in sys prefs.

    Charlie, Jul 19, 2004