    helped.

    I've posted a help request to asus but don't know if they are very good
    at responding.

    wheel, Feb 22, 2004

    Philip Callan, Feb 22, 2004

  3. wheel

    wheel Guest

    Thanks. Yes I mean mp3 files from hard disk. It's very strange.

    Yes there is a bitty little cable from the back of the cd player to the
    mobo (the p4p800 has a built in sound chip).

    wheel, Feb 22, 2004
  4. wheel

    Paul Guest

    Skipping can be caused by a hardware problem or a software problem.

    The sound interface has a buffer, and the buffer must be serviced
    at regular intervals. Some sound faults are caused by the buffer
    running dry, because a data bus on the motherboard is too slow in
    delivering data to all the devices that need it. The typical
    effect of these kinds of faults is crackling or popping. So, in
    this case, that isn't likely to be your problem.

    On the software side, your MP3 playing program is an application,
    and it has a lower priority than a number of other things in the
    system. In a Unix system, for example, if the kernel is doing
    a lot of I/O (say, for some other task), an application cannot
    tell it to lay off because the application isn't getting enough
    cycles. Now, normally the kernel is designed such that it doesn't
    tie up the system, but sometimes, under exception conditions,
    it might be staying at kernel level when it shouldn't be. For
    example, on some systems, if a sector on a disk is marginal,
    the system will retry a read operation a large number of times,
    during which other software performance could suffer.

    Another thing I've heard of, that can affect a system, is
    networking. On some computers, a DHCP problem can cause momentary
    outages, which means the networking stack is tying up the system.

    You might also have a look at what tasks are running on your
    system, and see if there is anything running that shouldn't be
    there.

    The problem could even be a bug in the MP3 application itself.
    At least one problem posted on here was solved by upgrading to
    a newer versions of the application.

    If you can, try to time the period between skips as accurately
    as possible. Post back with the period, and how much the
    period varies between occurrences, as this may help identify
    whether it is a hardware or software problem. If the skips
    are very precisely timed, it could be hardware, or the application
    itself, whereas if the period has a large variation, the
    problem could be in the software domain somewhere.

    BTW - What is the name of the MP3 player application ? Is the
    data it is playing, on a local disk, or on a networked disk ?

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 22, 2004
  5. wheel

    Darkfalz Guest

    Dude no point in posting this over and over.

    Your problem is NOT due to hardware or the drivers you have installed. The
    SoundMAX works very well on my system and everybody else who's using it.
    It's probably due to some third party software or driver.

    Darkfalz, Feb 22, 2004
  6. wheel

    wheel Guest

    Thanks for all of that.

    The skipping occurs at random intervals. It can occur 4 time in a
    minute, then wait a minute or two to occur again, then whatever.

    The MP3 player is Windows Media Player. The MP3 files are on a local
    hard disk. The CD also skips, and those are not MP3 files, they are
    commercial CDs.

    None of the tasks running are unexpected. I've had the problem since the
    first day I've assembled the machine, when it had almost nothing
    installed on it.

    For certain, it is whatever is behind the "System" Image Name in Task
    Manager. There is a 100% correlation to it's spike at 18% and the audio
    drops. I have never seen the "System" Image Name spike when the WMP
    player is NOT running. If it was a DHCP conflict then I'd expect it to
    occur regularly regardless of WMP. I have unconvered a few np posts via
    google that link the audio skipping to the "System" Image Name spiking
    but no of those thread included resolutions.

    Obvious next step for me, now that I've written that out, is to try
    another program for the CDs and HDD based MP3 files.

    wheel, Feb 22, 2004
  7. wheel

    wheel Guest

    It does also skip with winamp.

    I noticed that besides the Image Name "System" spike, a second instance
    of brmfrsmg.exe appears during the audio drop. brmfrsmg.exe is
    associated with a Brother printer I have. Maybe it's the problem. Not
    much on it on usenet, so I've posted a question to Brother.

    wheel, Feb 22, 2004