    If resampling is a requirement (eg if for some reason dvd audio has to
    be 48K rather than 44.1), what osx utility does the best job?

    TIA.

    D P Schreber, May 21, 2006

  2. D P Schreber

    D P Schreber Guest

    Following up my own post here --

    Thus turns out to be very easy, and I apologize for having posted the
    question before I did enough research. For anyone else who might be
    interested:

    1. Download the sources from http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/alpha

    2. Build the sources (unzip, cd to the src directory, type 'make')

    3. Run the following command in Terminal:

    dvda-author -o MyDVD -g mydata.wav

    where MyDVD is the name of a new directory where the data will be
    written, and mydata.wav is the name of the audio file. You can include
    multiple -g values.

    A minute later, the program will have created the new directory with an
    empty VIDEO_TS and suitably formatted data in the AUDIO_TS. It's a very
    fast process. This directory can now be burned to dvd-r as a udf image
    with Toast, resulting in a properly authored DVD-Audio disc that should
    play in any DVD-Audio player (though I can't verify this until my player
    arrives next week).

    No resampling is necessary: the DVD-Audio standard includes support for
    44.1/16 data and dvda-author handles it without issue.

    The only small downside with dvda-author is that it only accepts wav
    (and flac), whereas my files are aiff. But aiff->wav is a quick
    lossless conversion I can do easily with Quicktime Pro.

    D P Schreber, May 21, 2006