    modem, so I can't get into her computer at all now. I need to get my
    12-year-old niece to go there while I'm on the phone so we can try to
    open up access.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 2, 2008

  2. I call it risk assessment. You can be careful without being paranoid.

    The folks who wear tin-foil hats probably also think that the rest of us
    are being insufficiently careful.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Barry Margolin

    Guest Guest

    risk assessment and management is exactly what it is.

    Guest, Dec 2, 2008
  4. Barry Margolin

    ZnU Guest

    The admin would usually handle update rollout in such an
    environment. Apple has some decent tools for automating this over many
    machines.
    You can lock things down so even if users manage to install
    unauthorized apps, they still can't run them. There's a feature that
    can prevent non-admin accounts from running apps the admin hasn't
    white-listed.
    For tech-savvy users like developers or graphics types, it usually isn't
    worth the trouble. This sort of lockdown is more useful for generic
    office machines or computer lab machines.

    ZnU, Dec 7, 2008
  5. I know that. How many times do I have to point out that this is not a
    way to prevent someone from breaking things if they really want to, it
    just makes it hard to do so accidentally. The authentication prompt
    alerts you to the fact that you're trying to modify the system.

    Barry Margolin, Dec 9, 2008