    can query a modem, which I could use in a batch file? or some other way?

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Daniel

    JAD Guest

    for 20 bucks you can end that whole crappy problem.
    probably not what you wanted, but lets face it, anything other than a
    'custom string' would be a PITA.
    What about a driver update for the 'crappy'modem. Manufacturers web page?
    www.crappymodem.com

    JAD, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Zombie Wolf Guest

    "re-initialized" ???? Once the modem is installed, it should stay that way.
    You did install the drivers for the modem , didn't you ?
    Also, you should check and see that the com port the modem is attached to is
    also enabled in the BIOS. This is a possible cause for your problem. Windows
    having to "re-initialize" the modem each time would imply that this is a
    possible problem.

    Zombie Wolf, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Sorry but I'm not familiar with that model name, "crappy." Perhaps it has a
    more conventional name too?

    How does power go off to the modem and not the computer?

    David Maynard, Apr 16, 2005
  5. "Initialize" and "install" are not the same thing and virtually all
    hardware needs to be "initialized" in some way each time the system boots.

    David Maynard, Apr 16, 2005
  6. Daniel

    Bob M Guest

    If you have a local Fry's store you can buy an Airlink 56k V92 modem
    for $9.99. Works great and you won't have to worry about your problem
    anymore.

    Bob M, Apr 16, 2005
  7. Daniel

    Zombie Wolf Guest

    uh, excuse me, but windows is FAILING TO RECOGNIZE his modem when it boots
    up. This is usually caused by not installing the drivers, which put the
    proper entries into the registry so that it DOES recognize it. There is no
    particular "modem initialization" going on here, other than windows reading
    the entries in the registry that tell it about the modem (providing that he
    installed the drivers, that is !) Could you please elaborate on this magical
    "hardware initialization" that is supposed to take place with no discernable
    cause and effect ?

    Zombie Wolf, Apr 20, 2005
  8. Pardon me but that isn't what he said. He said the modem needed to be
    "re-initialised" using the "query modem" option in Control Panel and he
    wouldn't be able to do that if the system didn't 'recognize' there was a
    modem 'installed'.

    It also wasn't clear from his post whether "if the power goes off" referred
    to the whole system or just the modem (as in an external modem) or vice versa.
    That's a possibility and I was not saying there was nothing wrong with the
    "installation." I was clarifying the usage and meaning of "initialize" vs
    "install."
    And just exactly how do you know that when there's not clue 1 in his post
    as to what modem, or even what type of modem, it is?
    Well, one might wonder how he has a Control Panel entry with the ability
    to send a "query modem," and then it work, if the modem drivers have not
    been "installed" and Windows doesn't "recognize" there is one.
    Many hardware devices require some form of configuration, as in, for
    example, hardware registers being set up, before they can be used (this,
    btw, is often the cause of hibernate/suspend resume problems). It's
    normally transparent to the user but if a device can be turned off without
    Windows knowing about it then Windows would not necessarily know to redo
    the "initialization." It can also be caused by non-compliant
    drivers/hardware (resume problems) or, as you suggest, a driver
    "installation" problem.

    A similar, but in reverse, problem can happen if, for example, an external
    modem stays 'on' while the machine is restarted if the modem was left in a
    non-command, or hung, state. Windows may think it's 'ready' when it isn't
    and communications will be blocked till something 'kicks' the modem into a
    state where it will accept commands again (typically "cycle modem power").

    There just isn't enough information in his description to make a definitive
    diagnosis but, regardless, "initialize" and "install" are not the same thing.

    David Maynard, Apr 20, 2005
  9. Daniel

    Zombie Wolf Guest

    density abounds here. You obviously have no inkling of how windows detects
    devices. Windows, my friend, only takes care of and initializes stuff that
    is internal to the machine itself. In other words, it only takes care of and
    assigns interrupts and irq's to hardware that is actually part of the
    motherboard, or is plugged INTO the motherboard. An external modem does NOT
    fall into this category, and windows is not going to look for hardware that
    lies out beyond the COM port, since it's responsibility ENDS THERE, unless
    the drivers have been installed, in which case windows "detects" the
    hardware by the entries the drivers made in the REGISTRY when they were
    INSTALLED. It will then and ONLY then look for and query a device that lies
    out beyond the scope of the com port. His need to "re-Query" the modem after
    each power interruption indicates that windows does not have a REASON to
    query for that hardware, since the drivers for the modem were probably NEVER
    INSTALLED. So, it fails to detect the modem, since it HAS NO REASON TO.

    Zombie Wolf, Apr 20, 2005
  10. Daniel

    JAD Guest

    pick pick pick....

    the phrase 'properly' installed drivers comes to mind. where the modem
    'appears' to be installed, as it is in the modems properties window, but
    always having to 'query' to get the connectionware to use it.

    JAD, Apr 20, 2005
  11. Windows, my friend, only takes care of and initializes stuff that
    So then why does my USR 5686E external serial modem get recognized by a
    fresh install of windows and the found new hardware wizard appears
    before I install any drivers whatsoever?

    Blinko Glioba, Apr 20, 2005
  12. Daniel

    Zombie Wolf Guest

    Ah ,but it wont function right, will it, without installing the drivers
    (unless windows happens to have a set for it in the cab files ). In your
    case, windows happens to have a set of drivers on hand ... and they are
    probably not the latest ones, by the way....

    Zombie Wolf, Apr 21, 2005
  13. Daniel

    Zombie Wolf Guest

    I forgot to mention that your modem is probably a plug and play type device,
    by the way, which the original poster's modem wasn't., obviously

    Zombie Wolf, Apr 21, 2005
  14. Frankly, it's more like a lot of wistful smoke blowing.
    You haven't a clue what modem the OP was talking about. No one does but the OP.
    That is simply incorrect.
    And your next mistake is in thinking that initializing something means only
    "irq's."
    No one suggested an external modem had it's own 'irq'.
    So much for the 'automatically scan for modems' wizard.
    Which is neither here nor there because no one suggested windows did PnP on
    serial ports anyway.

    Not to mention no one said it *was* an external modem.
    Doing a "query modem" is not a "RE" query and a query of THE modem is not a
    'query' to LOOK for modems.

    Pull up Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options (assuming you're on XP). Go
    to modems. Push Properties for your modem. Go to Diagnostics.

    Notice the "Query Modem" button?

    Notice how the modem must be installed to GET there since it is in the
    Properties FOR that modem? And that if Windows did not know there was a
    modem there would be nothing to do a properties on?

    Also notice that is not a 'query' to FIND modems.

    Now go back and try an 'add modem'. Notice there is no "query" wording?
    Interesting how, after a query, the modem works when "the drivers for the
    modem were probably NEVER INSTALLED."
    And with no modem detected how does he send a query to it?

    I tell you what, you go on believing you have a clue how the OP's mystery
    modem works but I'm not going to make a rash of assumptions, like you do,
    about unspecified hardware.

    David Maynard, Apr 21, 2005
  15. Daniel

    Zombie Wolf Guest

    << drivel snipped >>

    There is nothing wistful about hardware. the modem he has is obviously not
    plug and play. Windows will query for plug and play hardware, (which
    sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, by the way). There is nothing
    "wistful" in my description of how windows detects hardware, either.

    Now, you ask, how could he have an entry in the hardware tree for the modem
    ? He doesn't of course, until he querys the modem, at which time windows
    will often install a "generic" driver for the modem, since the proper one is
    missing. This is the famous (or infamous) "standard modem" entry. It may or
    may not work, depending on the modem's degree of compatibility.

    ..

    Zombie Wolf, Apr 22, 2005
  16. Correct. It's your smoke blowing that's wistful.
    What's obvious is you have no clue about his modem because he didn't give any.
    'Imagine' anything you want.

    David Maynard, Apr 22, 2005
  17. Daniel

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Nope. You are so far off base the outfielder could tag you out. The OP
    saying "Query modem" refers to Windows interagating a modem that is has
    already recognized as a modem and installed some form of drivers for. No
    modem installed (either the wrong drivers, no drivers, not attached,
    whatever), and you will /not/ be able to "Query modem".

    Please, if you have no idea what you are talking about, STFU.

    Jim Berwick, Apr 25, 2005