auto update

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by p.mc, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. p.mc

    p.mc Guest

    Hi
    Win xp home

    Soundblaster live5.1

    I downloaded the auto update thingy on the creative site and was informed
    that it couldn't find anything on my system relating to their product. So I
    went into the creative folder on my pc, and a log file informed me that it
    couldn't find a card and to check that it was seated correctly, so I took it
    out reseated it, but the thing is I have always had sound from the pc and I
    dont have any other sound card so what does this all mean, surely if the
    card wasn't connected properly then there would be no sound at all??

    Also the card came pre installed by the manufacturer (OEM) wether this has
    eny bearing on the matter??

    --
    Regards
    p.mc

    For personal replies please leave or type signature
    "p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
    posts will not be received.
    Thanks

    p.mc, Aug 16, 2004

  2. p.mc

    T Shadow Guest

    I've noticed in the Audigy2 section, some of the downloads will say they can
    or can't be used with a Dell. So being a OEM coiuld be the problem. You have
    a Creative chip but it may not be a Creative card.

    T Shadow, Aug 16, 2004

  3. p.mc

    Lenny Guest

    I've noticed in the Audigy2 section, some of the downloads will say they
    can
    Dell is probably the most bothersome manufacturer ever, making other
    suppliers create special versions of their cards that typically look
    IDENTICAL to all other OEM or retail cards so you can't spot the difference,
    except they won't work with standard drivers. This means you're locked to
    whatever driver update Dell can be arsed to release (which they typically do
    like, once or twice during a computer's lifetime and then you're screwed).

    Lenny, Aug 16, 2004
  4. p.mc

    T Shadow Guest

    It can happen with any OEM card. My first experience was when I bought a
    "Yamaha" sound card for cheap at a computer show. The card would work for
    10seconds and quit until the drivers were reinstalled. Couldn't find any
    replacement drivers or even identify the card. Ended up putting it in the
    sh*t can. Cost $10 to discover the difference between chip and card.

    T Shadow, Aug 16, 2004
  5. p.mc

    p.mc Guest

    Hi there

    I've just been on the Creative forums site and discovered why I'm having
    this problem.
    If you have a preinstalled [OEM] Creative Card I think you'll find this
    extremely usefull to review,
    Looks like we're the forgotten ones........Creative F**ks

    http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/forums/forum.asp?foru=26

    --
    Regards
    p.mc