Automating Time Machine Backups -- Is it Possible?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Here's what I'd like to do via an Automator application that is fired up at
    login....

    a) Do nothing until a specified time and then

    b) Open Time Machine Preferences

    c) Change the Time Machine target drive to a different drive

    d) Immediately run a Time Machine backup to that just selected target drive

    e) Open Time Machine Preferences

    f) Change the Time Machine target drive back to the original drive

    The goal is to automatically, once a day, create a backp of the Time Machine
    Backup drive

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008

  2. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    As things now stand I have two external drives devoted to Time Machine.
    Normally one of them is the recipient of the hourly Time Machine backups.
    What I'd like to have happen is that once a day Time Machine would be
    redirected to the other drive in order to bring that one up to date after
    which Time Machine would be directed back to the original drive. The result
    would be my having a daily backup of my Time Machine drive.

    As things currently stand such a backup, when manually performed, takes just
    a few minutes. This contrasts to the several hours it takes to copy the
    folder which contains a Time Machine backup.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008

  3. There was an article posted to one of the Mac sites recently that
    demonstrated how Time Machine behaviour can be tweaked in a variety of
    ways. This might be a place to start.

    Sorry, but I don't recall the link of hand. It might have been The
    Unofficial Apple Weblog.

    Clever Monkey, Feb 6, 2008
  4. TaliesinSoft

    Randy Howard Guest

    Build a RAID 1 mirror'd volume and point TM at it. Would be a lot more
    efficient, imo.

    Randy Howard, Feb 6, 2008
  5. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [responding to my wanting to once an evening redirect Time Machine to a
    different drive long enought to complete a single backup anda then return
    Time Machine to its normal drive, a process that would take minutes as
    opposed to the hours copying the Time Machine backup folder would take]
    Actually I'm often awake in the middle of the night (sometimes my most
    constructive hours) and would like the interruption of the normal hourly Time
    Machine backups to be as short as possible.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  6. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [responding to my wanting to once a night redirect Time Machine to a
    different volume for just a single backup run and then restore it to the
    normally used volume]
    Unfortunately I don't believe I have the hard drives to do such. The two
    drives I currently use for Time Machine backups are each 300 GB and the size
    of my internal drive is 160 GB. My Time Machine backups currently run a bit
    over 200 GB.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  7. It's much easier and more logical to use a separate clone program to do
    that, and leave Time Machine alone.

    Johan W. Elzenga, Feb 6, 2008
  8. TaliesinSoft

    Randy Howard Guest

    Raid the two backup drives together, so you only do one backup, two for
    the price of one. The size of the internal drive isn't the issue.

    Randy Howard, Feb 6, 2008
  9. TaliesinSoft

    Guest Guest

    Carbon Copy Cloner would do it as an incremental backup. It would only
    copy over what has changed. Worth a try?
    Andy

    Guest, Feb 6, 2008
  10. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I'm currently cloning the Time Machine drive via SuperDuper! which does an
    excellent and accurate job, correctly preserving metadata and such. The
    downside is that it takes about an hour and a quarter to do its things. I've
    noted that if I switch my Time Machine drives that an update takes only a
    matter of minutes and that's why I was curious as to whether I could have
    something totally automatic that would run unattended once a day.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  11. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    No, perhaps I'm missing something!

    Are you suggesting that the Time Machine backup itself be directed to the
    RAID mirror? If that would work and if that accomplishes my goal of having
    duplicate copies, than that just might be the way to go.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  12. TaliesinSoft

    Randy Howard Guest

    Exactly.

    Then you only have to convince yourself that your trust Time Machine
    well enough :)

    Randy Howard, Feb 6, 2008
  13. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I followed Jolly Roger's suggestion and set up two of my external drives as a
    RAID mirror and am at this moment running a Time Machine backup to it.

    We shall see! :)

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  14. TaliesinSoft

    Guest Guest

    Yes, and if time machine screws up you'll still have another backup.

    Guest, Feb 6, 2008
  15. TaliesinSoft

    Randy Howard Guest

    Interesting to learn that was his suggestion. ;-)

    Randy Howard, Feb 6, 2008
  16. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Actually, although I think I didn't mention it elsewhere in this thread, I
    have six external hard drives, three drives in each of two separate physical
    locations, "home" and "office". One of those drives in each location is used
    for a SuperDuper! clone of my internal drive and two of those drives were
    used for Time Machine, one the Time Machine "primary" and one the Time
    Machine "backup".

    At the suggestion made earlier today by Jolly Roger I have just completed a
    Time Machine backup to two of my external drives set up in a mirrored RAID
    configuration. This was using the "home" configuration, and methinks It is
    quite likely that I will configure the "office" configuration in the same
    manner.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  17. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [commenting on having attributed to Jolly Roger the suggestion of using a
    mirrored RAID configuration for my Time Machine.
    Shame, shame, shame, shame, shame........on me!

    I will apologetically state here and now that it was indeed Randy Howard that
    made the original RAID suggestion and it was Jolly Roger who offered a
    clarification to a question I had regarding the RAID configuration.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  18. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Oops, I just checked and Jolly Roger is right in having been the first to
    mentiion using a RAID configuration, albeit in a different arm of the threads
    going back to my original posting.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 6, 2008
  19. TaliesinSoft

    Randy Howard Guest

    Although you probably already know that NNTP traffic is asynch, fwiw,
    your reply showed up on my system after I posted my reply. *shrug*

    Randy Howard, Feb 6, 2008
  20. TaliesinSoft

    Randy Howard Guest

    The emoticon wasn't there by accident.