automountd, backups.backupdb & port 111

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Mike, May 13, 2008.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm running 10.5.2 on a Mac Pro with Time Machine enabled.

    Occasionally Little Snitch will alert me to auotomound wanting to make a
    connection with backups.backupdb via port 111. I've allowed it but not
    on a permanent basis.

    I did some Googling and found that others have seen the same or a
    similar message but none have pinpointed exactly what's going on.
    Google led me to a January post on an Objective Development forum asking
    about it, but there was only a "me too" post in reply. Both of those
    posters were using OpenDNS as am I (much faster than cox.net).

    Several posters on a thread at Macintouch seemed to believe that these
    messages are ISPs redirecting to an alternate search page, but I can't
    for the life of me see how Time Machine is related to that. And I don't
    see it.

    I'm not mounting any remote volumes such as Mac, NFS,or Samba shares.

    Neither the console logs or firewall logs show anything that I think is
    suspicious.

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    Mike, May 13, 2008

  2. I see no reference to Firewall in: System Preferences>Sharing> . I'm
    using 10.5.2 .

    Thanks Larry

    Lawrance A. Schneider, May 17, 2008

  3. In 10.5, it's in System Preferences>Security.

    Michelle Steiner, May 17, 2008