    SATA-150 mode.

    Has mail abit support but heard nothing in like a month
    Any1 that has a bright idea?

    Floffer Poffer, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Floffer Poffer

    John Lewis Guest

    If the SATA300 disk does not have a SATA150 setting, you are out of
    luck. Have you checked with the Seagate web-site for any FAQs on the
    subject for your specific disk ?

    Likely solutions are to return the disk or get a new motherboard that
    supports SATA-300, or add a PCI-based SATA-300-compatible controller.
    Some SATA300 disks such as the Hitachi series, are shipped as SATA150
    and can be upgraded via a DOS-utility to SATA300, with a warning in
    large type that the controller had better support SATA300 as well as
    SATA150 --- as having upgraded to SATA300 the only way to back it down
    to SATA150 is to put it on a SATA300-compatible controller.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Floffer Poffer wrote:

    | I have a Abit AV8 3rd EYE mobo that has a SATA-150
    | controller. I have now bought a Seagate SATA-300 disk
    | and connected it. Enabled the controller in the bios,
    | updated the bios to ver 27. I can install the driver in XP
    | but just get the: This device cannot start. (Code 10)
    | And it isn't using any resources because it can't start.
    |
    | Driver ver is 5.1.2600.530 from VIA.
    |
    | When I boot - winXP just hangs for a few more seconds than
    | normal. It doesn't seem there is a jumper setting to force it
    | to run in SATA-150 mode.
    |
    | Has mail abit support but heard nothing in like a month
    | Any1 that has a bright idea?

    Seagate does have a jumper block on the back of their SATA300 disks. It's
    labeled for factory use only.

    The first two pins (adjacent to the edge of the drive), when jumpered, will
    force the drive to the SATA150 specification on controllers that don't
    properly auto-negotiate.

    See http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_lock.html for more
    information.

    Jef