    send it back or buy a bios chip.

    Thanks
    Tom

    Tom Wells, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Tom Wells

    Russ Guest

    That trick didn't work for me. I still had to buy a $17 bios chip. Once that
    was installed the AV8 booted right up. I hot flashed the original bios chip
    for a "spare".

    Except for the above problem the system runs quite well. I have the A64
    3000+ 939 90u cpu. It runs about 46C playing Doom 3 or Half Life 2.

    Russ, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Tom Wells

    somnambulist Guest

    Obviously, YMMV
    Same processor as your good self.... Worked a treat for me, even so far
    as to allow me to install Windows and then flash from within Windows.
    Damn thing wouldn't even boot with both sticks installed.

    somnambulist, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Tom Wells

    Tom Wells Guest

    I've been following this same discussion on the ABIT forums on the
    Abit-usa site. Today an Abit marketing guy posted this:

    Dear all,

    First of all, I want to apologize for all the inconvenience we have
    caused you with the 90nm processor issue. We have manualy flashed all
    the AV8 BIOS to 16 for all the AV8 shipments, therefore; there shouldn't
    be any more AV8 motherboards out there with the old BIOS.

    However, if you are still having post issues with your newly bought Av8
    motherboard. Please send an e-mail with your contact information and
    mailing address to with subject 90nm issue with
    AV8, I will be mroe than happy to send you a BIOS chip with the 16 BIOS
    on there.

    AM

    That helps. Here's the URL:

    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64923&perpage=15&pagenumber=10

    What I wish I knew now is whether NewEgg has the latest Bios. I called
    and asked but that was something that the person I talked to could not
    find out.

    Tom

    Tom Wells, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Tom Wells

    Russ Guest

    Interesting that you could boot up. I tried and tried and tried. Striped
    down the machine to bare nothing, still would not post.

    So there ya go, some do, some don't, ya takes yer chances!!

    Russ, Nov 19, 2004
  6. Tom Wells

    somnambulist Guest

    Aye, was the first thing I tried to be honest. I'd heard about the 90nm
    problems on shipping boards without up to date BIOS installed and
    thought "arse, that's gonna mean I'm stuffed when the 3000 turns up".
    True enough, I built the machine, switched it on.... nowt. Not a peep!
    took the second stick out for the hell of it and chanced my luck to
    see how far it would get through the XP Pro install and was a bit
    shocked and amused that it completed without hassle.
    Luck of the draw really innit? It was actually a spare board I had
    sitting doing nothing after my main machine's power supply (Antec
    NeoPower) really didn't like the Abit at all. Replaced it with an Asus
    that's been faultless, then built a nice little 939-3000 beast for
    someone and made a tidy profit. Result!

    somnambulist, Nov 19, 2004
  7. Tom Wells

    Chris Guest

    Hi, with the current V2 boards being sold this shouldn't be an issue.
    Certainly Asus boards now come with version 1006 of the bios, that fixes the
    problem. My Asus A8V booted fine, not one problem at all.....
    Chris C

    Chris, Nov 19, 2004
  8. Tom Wells

    somnambulist Guest

    Yep, built one today for someone and it was fine. New BIOS installed
    already when it came out of the box.

    There's the chance of some retailers still having old stock though....

    somnambulist, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Tom Wells

    Tom Guest

    Anyone bought from NewEgg lately and got a good one?

    Tom, Nov 19, 2004