    Does this MB SATA not enable DMA? The Plextor appears to be in PIO mode.

    What am I missing???

    David

    ô¿ô¬, Jun 2, 2005

  2. ô¿ô¬

    TomG Guest

    on my system (different board...) the SATA controllers show as SCSI devices
    and there are no settings regarding PIO/DMA/etc. what burning software you
    running? you sure it is detecting the hardware correctly? look in device
    manager for the SATA controller and, if it shows under SCSI devices, there
    won't be any kind of mode settings...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jun 2, 2005

  3. ô¿ô¬

    ô¿ô¬ Guest

    Using Nero (6.6.0.13) and WinXP. The DVD shows up in Device Manage (no
    errors) and I have it enabled in BIOS and the Raid drivers installed as
    well. The device manager shows no errors in the SCSI or DVD area.

    The NEC (IDE) will burn an ISO file in 9 minutes, while the Plextor (SATA)
    takes 14+ minutes to burn the same file. The media is recognized as 8x by
    both burners and both indicate they are burning at 8x. It seems the Plextor
    runs out of data and burnproof is employed for the Plextor.

    David

    : on my system (different board...) the SATA controllers show as SCSI
    devices
    : and there are no settings regarding PIO/DMA/etc. what burning software
    you
    : running? you sure it is detecting the hardware correctly? look in device
    : manager for the SATA controller and, if it shows under SCSI devices, there
    : won't be any kind of mode settings...
    :
    : --
    :
    : Thomas Geery
    : Network+ certified
    :
    : ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    : ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
    : This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
    : over 130,000 FTP users served!
    : ^^^^^^^
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : > Just installed a Plextor PX-712SA DVD burner (via SATA) to my Abit AV8
    MB.
    : > The burner is a 12x burner but will only burn at 4x speeds (14+ minutes
    : > for
    : > a full DVD).
    : >
    : > The media is recognized as 8X and an IDE NEC 16x DVD burns it at 8x.
    : >

    ô¿ô¬, Jun 2, 2005
  4. ô¿ô¬

    TomG Guest

    if burnproof is being employed (as I have a Plextor, too), you will see the
    light on the burner turn back to green during the burn process, cycling from
    the amber flashing to green steady and then back to amber flashing. each
    cycle of green would be a burnproof cycle...

    TomG, Jun 2, 2005
  5. ô¿ô¬

    ô¿ô¬ Guest

    That's what was happening.
    Blinking amber then solid green - alternating in stages. Anyway returned
    the SATA DVD. Will stick with IDE burners & HDD for now.
    Tks
    -d

[...]
    : > :
    : > : --
    : > :
    : > : Thomas Geery
    : > : Network+ certified
    : > :
    : > : ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    : > : ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
    : > : This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
    : > : over 130,000 FTP users served!
    : > : ^^^^^^^
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : : > : > Just installed a Plextor PX-712SA DVD burner (via SATA) to my Abit
    AV8
    : > MB.
    : > : > The burner is a 12x burner but will only burn at 4x speeds (14+
    : > minutes
    : > : > for
    : > : > a full DVD).
    : > : >