AV8 - using both onboard RAID and a PCI RAID card

Discussion in 'Abit' started by John Geddes, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. John Geddes

    John Geddes Guest

    I am trying to set up my Abit AV8 with:

    SATA Raid 1 (Mirroring) using onboard as boot disk for XP Pro - so that
    I can avoid reinstalling Windows and programs if either disk fails

    IDE Raid 0 (Striping) using Highpoint RocketRaid 133 PCI card - so that
    I can enjoy faster data access for a database application.

    (In due course, I would ideally like to add a single IDE drive using
    the onboard IDE-1 connector - but that can wait for now)

    The problem is that the IDE Raid array comes up as Disk 0, which I
    believe will mean that the moment I create one or more partitions on it,
    the first Disk-0 partition will be the one that is used for booting.
    Given the two pairs of disks I own, it is much more attractive to have
    the 160Mb SATA pair mirrored and the 40Gb IDE pair striped rather than
    the other way around.

    In the BIOS (v24), the "Hard Disc Boot Priority" offers no choice - the
    only entry is "1. Bootable Add-in Cards".

    The choice of "Bootable Add-in Device" is either "PCI Slot Device" or
    "Onchip SATA RAID". Common sense says that I want to set this to the
    Onchip options. No good. Changing to PCI makes no difference - for
    either setting, the system recognises the PCI array as Disk 0 and the
    SATA array as Disk 1.

    Am I stuck with having the AV8 treat the PCI-based Raid array as Disk 0?
    And if so, is there any way of having the PC boot from Disk 1?

    John Geddes
    England

    John Geddes, Oct 30, 2005

  2. John Geddes

    Carl Guest

    I had a Highpoint RocketRAID pci addin card. Left the bios setting to
    bootable add in cards, then faffed about with the settings for the raid
    card, which should show up during the post screens, after the mobo post
    screens.

    Carl, Oct 31, 2005

  3. John Geddes

    straiton Guest

    wasn't there something about SATA Raid and v24 bios incompatibility.Hafta go
    back to an earlier bios?Check abit -usa forums,
    CBF looking for it.
    --

    SteveH
    Abit AV8 Third Eye v1.1, A64 3200+ at 2430(9x270),1.575V CPU

    straiton, Oct 31, 2005
  4. "John Geddes" wrote in message...
    It will if you create a primary partition on the Highpoint array, and make
    it active, yes. However, you can head this off at the past by changing the
    boot priority in the Advanced Settings section of the BIOS. You shouldn't
    have any issues putting drives on the onboard RAID controller above those on
    the Highpoint.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Oct 31, 2005
  5. John Geddes

    John Geddes Guest

    UPDATE

    That is what I would have expected, but ...

    Whichever device I choose under "Bootable Add-in Device" (either
    "Onchip SATA RAID" - which is what I want, or "PCI Slot Device" - which
    I don't want) makes no difference.

    And the Boot Sequence does not acknowledge any RAID arrays - it just
    sees a single "Hard Disk" - which is the SATA array (I've tested this by
    taking it out of the boot sequence, and the system complains of no
    bootable disk)

    So - the BIOS seems to know that I want the SATA (onboard) array as my
    boot disk, at least as far as the Boot Sequence goes.

    But then it goes and loads the PCI-card RAID first as Disk 0!

    John Geddes

    John Geddes, Nov 1, 2005