    1 gig Kingston Ram PC 3200/400
    Themaltake butterfly, dual fan PS
    Fire GL 8700

    Rudy Kube, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Rudy Kube

    Wes Newell Guest

    Thermaltake makes many copper cpu coolers. Some decent, some not so
    decent. What model do you have. What does the cpu temp get to under load?
    In any case, 49C at idle seems extremely high to me unless you've raised
    vcore quite a bit, and assuming it's in an air controlled environment.

    In short, you don't give enough info to make a reasonable reply.
    Room temp?
    Case temp?
    Cooler model?

    Wes Newell, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Room is a normal room in a house. Temp about 70deg.F . CPU fan is a
    Thermaltake Volcano. Only asked for an avg. temp. not an in depth analysis.
    Haven't messed with v-core. Don't know how to check temp under load. I
    accept your point that 49C is high. I thought so too but wasn't sure. Many
    thanks for your views. PS/ Conditions being normal in a home environment
    what should the avg. temp be?????? 42, 40 48 37
    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Just checked with AMD. The max temp for a 3200+/400fsb is 85deg.C. I'm
    37deg. under that.

    Rudy Kube, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Rudy Kube

    Wes Newell Guest

    At least we now know ambient is about 21C. So that puts the idle temp 28C
    over. Not good. Actually, very bad.
    That 85C is max die temp period. Not max die temp at idle. If you
    haven't loaded the sytem down to 100% you don't know what max temp you
    will reach. So is your temp reading a die temp reading, or a socket
    thermistor reading? Whats the case temps? It should be no more than about
    28C with a 21C ambient room temp. And the cpu should be within 10C of that
    at idle with a decent cooler. Now Thermaltake has abpout 12 models of
    volcano coolers, so saying just volcano means absolutely nothing.
    Now if this seems too complicated I'm sorry, but if you want a correct
    response you have to furnish decent info for it. or I guess I could just
    say that averqage idle temps for my XP's are about 31C and you can go from
    there. Max load temps on mine are under 45C.

    Wes Newell, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Don't mean to sound like a smart alec. Just a little frustrated I guess.
    Bios reports sys temp as 37C, CPU 48C CPU fan 2636 RPM, sys fan 2596 RPM.
    Don't know how to check temp under load. I assume bios gets temp info from
    MB, probably not to accurate. Your temps are way under mine, that scares me.
    Also I realize 85C is absolute max.

    Rudy Kube, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Rudy Kube

    Wes Newell Guest

    Don't worry about what you sound like and pay no attention to my rather
    intolerate attitude. It's just the way I am.:) As you know, you can't
    cool a cpu below 37C if the intake air of the cpu fan is 37C. I see this
    as 1 problem you have, unless ambient room temp is 30C (86F). So first
    consentrate on getting the case temps down to as close to room temp as
    possible. Just that alone should also lower the cpu temp since it's
    relative to case temp. You also mught try the gigabyte NG for someone with
    your board and exact bios version to compare with. The 11C difference
    between case and cpu temp at idle seems just a very little too high, but
    adequate
    Well, there is an extra load when in the bios, but I'm not sure how much,
    but it's a heavy load for some reason. Mine goes from about 35C to about
    42C when I shut down and reboot (running cpu normal speed). I can see the
    temps rise in the bios, once I go to it quickly after a reboot.
    Check your MB cd for monitoring software. Most come with a windows
    version. If not, search for motherboard monitor (MBM5) and install it. If
    your board is supported, it'll be easy. If not, then you might have
    problems since you'll have to know what chips the MB takes the sensor
    readings from. Once set up, you'll probably find that your idle temps are
    less than you think. Just checked and your board is on the list. Good luck.

    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/gigabyte.html

    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html

    Wes Newell, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Much appreciated. Will do some homework on this so I can come up to speed.
    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Installed MBM 5. Reports case at 37deg. C, CPU 47deg. C, and sensor at
    30deg. C. Temp in room stays right about 72 deg. F. Going to see if I can
    get reading lower.

    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Rudy Kube

    Wes Newell Guest

    Remove the side case cover and take temp readings again in 10 minutes.If
    temps drop considerably, then that's a good indication of needing better
    case cooling.

    Wes Newell, Dec 4, 2004
  11. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    MBM 5 is telling me the CPU is 46-49deg.C, Case 33deg.C. I put a thermometer
    in the room and after a day it reads 21deg.C. Put it in the case for an hour
    and it went up to 23.5deg.C. MBM case temps didn't change with side panel
    off. When I turn system on the case temp is 25deg.C and after about 10
    minutes it's up to 33deg.C. It's hard for me to believe the sensors on this
    MOBO.
    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Dec 6, 2004
  12. Rudy Kube

    Wes Newell Guest

    Ok that tells me what you think is the case temp is either the chipset
    temp, or the case sensor is in a location right next to something hot on
    the board. This sensor usually looks like a small cap on the board,
    usually either blue or green in color. Probably sticks up about 1/2" from
    the board. Try finding it and holding it tight with both fingers to heat
    it up with body temp or some other way and then watch which temps change
    in MBM. It only takes a few seconds to start showing an increase in temp
    if you get the right one, and temps will fall fairly quickly when you
    release it. Your board may only have a chipset and cpu sensor. I don't
    know, sorry.

    Wes Newell, Dec 6, 2004
  13. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Last (I hope) question. If you gently touch the fins of the heat sink should
    they be warm? They are not. I would think the answer would be yes if pulling
    heat from the CPU. Two sides are covered in sheet metal and that doesn't
    feel warm at all. The warmest thing in the system seems to be the video card
    which has it's own fan. I can feel warm air circulating if I hold my hand
    between the CPU and the card. It's a themaltake silent boost by the way. (
    am looking for the heat sensor)
    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Dec 6, 2004
  14. Rudy Kube

    Wes Newell Guest

    In most cases I've seen, if the cpu temp is 47C, the HS will be quite warm
    to the touch, and you should be able to feel hot air from the cooler. If
    in doubt, remove the cooler, clean it and re-install it. Don't foget the
    thermal transfer compound of some kind. I prefer the plain stuff and not
    the exotic AS stuff. Axle grease sgould work wll in a pinch, or even motor
    oil is better than nothing for a while.

    Wes Newell, Dec 6, 2004
  15. Rudy Kube

    pp Guest

    What should the avg. temp of an AMD 3200+/400fsb be? Mine is running between
    I have the same cpu (retail) with stock fan and heatsink. With a room
    Temperature of around 74 F, it runs idle at 50 C, Mobo is at around 25 C.
    On playing some games or on compiling some source files, the temperatures
    increase to around 56 C/ 27 C. Thats the max that I have observed. Never
    went beyond that. And the system is also stable even at those temperatures.

    HTH

    pp, Dec 6, 2004
  16. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Wes that last one cracked me up. I have been chicken about pulling the fan.
    Been looking at cleaning and re-installing instructions. Now I'm an expert.
    Using a silver thermal paste by dynex (best buy). Also I have a couple of
    fans coming from newegg. Going to install one in the side panel blowing
    right at the CPU. If this thing don't cool down I'll put dry ice in it.
    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Dec 7, 2004
  17. Rudy Kube

    Rudy Kube Guest

    Well I finally did it. I removed the HS & fan. Cleaned greased and
    reinstalled. CPU dropped from 48-50C to 38-41C. Case is 33C. Also noticed
    under the chipset fan a gigabyte AGP 8X sticker on the HS & removed that.
    Now I feel a little more comfortable.
    Rudy

    Rudy Kube, Dec 7, 2004
  18. Rudy Kube

    Wes Newell Guest

    A 10C drop means something wasn't installed right. Anyway, you're coking
    now, or not.:)

    Wes Newell, Dec 7, 2004