    30 seconds. She revived the thing, but it kicked off several more
    times during the course of our conversation.

    Sigh. Back to Best Buy, I guess.

    Steve, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Steve

    Russ Fink Guest

    I have been reading about the Averatec after it caught my eye in
    Office Depot over the weekend. I have some questions for any owners
    that might be reading this.

    1. There is no docking station (aka port replicator) for the unit, but
    it has 3 USB ports; can you connect a keyboard and mouse to the USB
    under Win XP? [Forgive me, but I'm still running a K6-550 with Win95
    at home as my primary machine! The pain of it all...]

    2. The P model comes with built-in WIFI. Is there a way to disable it
    in BIOS if, say, I am paranoid and don't want it on (or enter some
    building that prohibits it)?

    3. How is the range on the WIFI - Does the WIFI have an external
    antenna, does it need one, what general remarks can you make?

    4. How long does the battery last when playing DVDs?

    5. Any other general comments on it - is it worth NOT spending the
    extra $300 for the next class of laptop? E.g., if you could do it all
    over again, would you have reached deeper into the cookie jar and paid
    more money for a more expensive model? If so, which one?

    Thanks for your help.

    Russ

    Russ Fink, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Check out the Sotec (Averatec) forum: http://sotec.mine.nu/forum
    I think there's an external switch on the unit to disable it.
    A bit over 2 hours.
    Depends on your needs. The 3150H (without built-in wi-fi) works great
    for me, and is available (after rebates) for about $750.

    Steve, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Steve

    Bob Ward Guest

    I've seen a universal USB docking station that allows you to hook up
    the monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, a serial and Ethernet ports. I
    want one of these for my test bench - put the tower on the bench, plug
    in the power and the USB cables, and you should be in business.

    It's by Belkin - see the press release at
    http://www.usbnews.net/news/belkin usb2 dock.htm

    Bob Ward, Aug 4, 2003
  5. The Belkin release says the docking station has a "VGA pass through port for
    connecting the monitor".

    Does that mean it will NOT pass thru SVGA or UGVA?

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel

    Robert Siegel, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Steve

    Quaoar Guest

    It *probably* means VGA in the same sense as "VGA port" on the computer,
    having nothing to do with screen resolution. It is "pass through" after
    all.

    Quaoar, Aug 5, 2003