Avoid Circuit City

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MikeW, May 20, 2004.

  1. MikeW

    MikeW Guest

    This is unbelievable. IMO, Avoid Circuit City at all costs after what they
    just pulled on me.

    I went in on Monday to buy an HP Notebook model ZX5160. They were offering
    an additional $250 off and with a $100 rebate the price was $1199.

    I saw their model ZX5040US for $199 after rebates. That has a dedicated
    memory for the video and firewire. But it was out of stock and they didn't
    know if any were coming in.

    I specifically told the salesman that I'd be back Wednesday after
    researching the 2nd computer.

    I show up this afternoon and the $250 Circuit City Rebate is gone. I'm told
    it ended Sunday night. This almost came to blows as the sales manager first
    infers I didn't see it,then tells me the guy we found who helped me wasn't
    from the computer section so he can't be expected to know a rebate ends. I
    told him that wasn't my problem and that his refusal to honor the price was
    a "stupid decision." Then he tells me he isn't stupid and get pissed off. I
    as ked him how he was pissed off when I was getting screwed? He insisted he
    wasn't screwing me and that he was trying to work with me. I asked him how,
    by now tralking me into paying $1349 for the same computer I wanted to walk
    out the door with on Monday?

    I then had to tell him to listen carefully as I didn't say he was stupid. I
    said he was making a stupid managerial decision as I walked in the door
    with cash, his salesman [who suddenly wasn't a real salesman] spoke to me
    about the two different notebooks, and I said I'be be back to buy one
    Wednesday. I had to explain to him that if the sale ended Monday [now
    another saleman intervenes and tells me it ended Monday not Sunday] then
    the onus is on the salesman to try to sell me one Monday by telling me the
    rebate ended.

    He goes back into "I can't manufacture a store rebate." to which I told him
    he could do whatever he wanted to do and write up an explanation. His
    comment then was that at $1199 he was losing money. I asked how he was
    losing money if he was selling it at that price all last week!

    Avoid Circuit City. They remind me of a place called TOPS in NJ years ago.
    They just wanted to sell you a service contract and be out the door with
    you.

    Mike

    MikeW, May 20, 2004

  2. MikeW

    Jay Cee Guest

    what a bunch of idiots they sound like.

    screw em, take your biz elsewhere and enjoy whatever you buy....

    jay cee

    Jay Cee, May 20, 2004

  3. MikeW

    Lil' Dave Guest

    In cases like that, you ask for a written (not verbal) rain check indicating
    the product and price. Then it is their problem.

    Lil' Dave, May 20, 2004
  4. MikeW

    MikeW Guest

    Well, they had the one I walked in to buy in stock and I took no note of
    anything that I saw in the store stating it ended. My telling the salesman
    that I'd be back in 2 days should have alreted him to saying that the sale
    was/might be over.

    I don't believe anything stating its end was there as I was comparing two
    machines that were not next to each other and even took the card on Monday
    from one notebook to place it next to another and went down to see if there
    was anything other than the 64 MB dedicated graphics card. In fact it
    couldn't have been there. I've been researching notebooks at Best Buy, HP
    online, and Circuit City for a month. I have always clicked the rebates to
    see when they end. Some end in a week [to try to get you in the door] and
    some end in Sept/Oct. The $250 one read as a Circuit City Rebate with no
    date as the HP ones had dates. And I did not just click each computer once.
    This has been a long process of researching which one to purchase.

    I have written Circuit City online. I told them of the incident and that I
    will gladly purchase it online [which I could have] if they make things
    right. If they don't I'll just write a macro and post the message every few
    weeks for a year. They will lose more in sales over this than any alledged
    loss they take selling me it for $1199.

    Thanks,
    Mike

    MikeW, May 20, 2004
  5. MikeW

    Noozer Guest

    Multiposting dumbass... answered in another group.

    Noozer, May 20, 2004
  6. MikeW

    Noozer Guest

    Why? You hadn't even decided on what laptop you wanted. You were still
    researching.

    If you can't be bothered to read the signs, why should the salesman care?

    Noozer, May 20, 2004
  7. MikeW

    bill Guest

    <snip>
    <
    <I have written Circuit City online. I told them of the incident and that I
    <will gladly purchase it online [which I could have] if they make things
    <right. If they don't I'll just write a macro and post the message every few
    <weeks for a year. They will lose more in sales over this than any alledged
    <loss they take selling me it for $1199.
    <
    <Thanks,
    <Mike
    <

    You don't know much about big retail outfits do you. They don't
    give a shit what you do. There will always be more sheep to shear.

    Bill

    bill, May 20, 2004
  8. MikeW

    Ken Oaf Guest

    Most sales end on a Sunday. You should have grabbed it when you saw it.

    Ken Oaf, May 20, 2004
  9. MikeW

    MikeW Guest

    Well, I did work my way through college in one. And I know that back then,
    if the customer was wronged you could do anything to complete the sale.
    They chose not to.

    I also was raised that a man's word is his bond. This is just another
    indication of the mess we are in.

    MikeW

    MikeW, May 20, 2004
  10. MikeW

    MikeW Guest

    This is such fun.

    I walked in to buy one model. Then I saw one with a dedicated 64 MB of RAM.
    He didn't have it in stock and thought they might be in by the time I came
    back Wednesday.

    Nice try. You have a nice day,
    MikeW

    MikeW, May 20, 2004
  11. MikeW

    MikeW Guest

    Thank you for being the voice of reason out in a wilderness full of people
    who must screw people whenever they can from reading the inane responses on
    this issue.

    I don't need the money. I have plenty as this $250 does not make or break
    me. It is principle. I look at them doing this as not only being outrageous
    and foolish, but it takes away buying two seats to a great concert. IOW,
    they are taking my money and pissing it away when they wrote down the price
    of both units that I was looking at.

    MikeW

    MikeW, May 20, 2004
  12. MikeW

    S.Lewis Guest

    (bill's post edited to make a point)

    Take the above statement and fill in the blank. This thread would be
    shorter if we listed businesses who DID and DO give a crap and offer
    outstanding customer service before and after the sale.

    I do agree, however, with the OPs original point. Circuit City could've
    made this right so very easily, yet apparently doesn't care enough to do so.
    Perhaps a blessing; if they treated you this way upfront, then imagine how
    they would treat you once they had your money after the sale.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 20, 2004
  13. MikeW

    Dixon Butz Guest

    You want some cheese with that "whine"??

    Dixon Butz, May 20, 2004
  14. MikeW

    Walt Guest

    I kind of hard time following your story since you seem to be using
    interchangeable the concept of a sale price and of a rebate.

    However, basically, you went to CC to buy a computer. Once there,
    you became uncertain of which model to get. So, you simply walked
    out without buying anything.

    You finally went back to CC after several days only to find out
    that you waited too long. The sale/rebate ended as scheduled.

    Well, sales end and rebates end all the time. That is just the
    way the world works. The phrase "you snooze, you loose" comes
    to mind.

    Of course, you want to bully the CC manager into giving you
    an exception. Basically, sales and rebates end as scheduled
    for everyone except you, right? You walked out that first time
    without buying anything, and you want to make that CC's fault.
    I guess you feel that since you told CC "I'd be back Wednesday"
    that you had "dibs" on the sale/rebates until then. However, just
    how many people say "I'll be back" and never actually come back?
    Matter of fact, I would think that a phrase like "I'll be back"
    is like "I'll call you" or "Let's have lunch sometime". Just
    a way to depart and leave someone. I would not fault the
    salesperson for taking it to be a meaningless phrase that it is.

    Sure, it would be nice if the CC manager made an exception for
    you, and give you the sale price/rebate after they ended. However,
    that doesn't make the manager, or CC, "bad" for not doing so.

    Walt, May 20, 2004
  15. They pulled the same stunt to me when looking for a toshiba satellite. Even
    worse, at the end nobody wanted to help me because "everyone is busy right
    now", but when they were attending me they interrupted every time to attend
    other customers.

    I got really pissed of and told out loud that I was going to compusa instead
    (right across the street). Someone from a register came out to calm me down
    and that she would talk to the people in the computer section.

    It's really annoying when they tell you "no, that rebate is no longer
    available" and not only you previously talked to someone who told you there
    was that rebate, but also the sticker is still on display.

    --
    Pole Dome Guitar Religion

    "If you choose not to decide
    you still have made a choice..."
    Rush

    pedro itriago, May 20, 2004
  16. MikeW

    Andrew J Guest

    They are the same as Radio Shack, only go there if you can completely
    ignore the sales people. They are know nothings and will do every dumb
    thing they can to steer you wrong.

    Andrew J, May 20, 2004
  17. MikeW

    Dr Teeth Guest

    The principle is that you tried to buy a product after the offer
    ended.

    *You* are in the wrong and Circuit City is better off without you.

    Cheers,

    Guy

    ** I may not be perfect, but I'm
    ** English, and that's the next best thing!

    Dr Teeth, May 20, 2004
  18. MikeW

    Kylesb Guest

    | |
    | > You don't know much about big retail outfits do you.
    |
    | Well, I did work my way through college in one. And I know that back
    then,
    | if the customer was wronged you could do anything to complete the
    sale.
    | They chose not to.
    |
    | I also was raised that a man's word is his bond. This is just
    another
    | indication of the mess we are in.

    You presume a lowly retail sales attendant has the legal authority as
    an agent to bind his master, and unfortunately, you are incorrect in
    this assumption. The retail establishment chose _not_ to "make it
    right" and such is life. You've not been wronged, just not treated in
    the fashion that would engender your continued patronage. So your
    recourse is to shop elsewhere, chalk it up to experience, get it in
    writing next time, stop whining!

    Kylesb, May 20, 2004
  19. MikeW

    Lil' Dave Guest

    Despite the details you provided, my response remains unchanged. ACYA or
    ACYOA. Verbal promises mean nothing in today's world, sad to say, in the
    marketplace.

    Lil' Dave, May 20, 2004
  20. MikeW

    Lil' Dave Guest

    In today's marketplace, ACYA or ACYOA. Verbal promises mean nothing, sad to
    say, in today's marketplace. Be careful about anything written as well.

    Lil' Dave, May 20, 2004