    "I insist on another room!!" said the drunk.
    "Very good, sir. I`ll change you from 502 to 555. Would you mind telling me why you don't like 502?" asked the clerk.
    "Well, for one thing," said the drunk, "it's on fire."

    Peter Hucker, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Peter Hucker

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Peter Hucker

    Peter Hucker Guest

    Been busy, just got round to this.

    I just tried safe mode and it would not start in that either. Note I couldn't run XP setup from scratch on a blank hard disk either - I got the same problem - it reboots (presumably just a blue screen then an instantaneous auto-reboot) as soon as the logo appears.

    I tried the logging option, but I cannot find the file where it is meant to be according to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_tol_rpsc.asp - "Enabling boot logging and restarting causes the operating system to create a log file in the systemroot directory named Ntbtlog.txt. You can view the log by double-clicking it. The log lists files that Windows XP Professional attempted to load during startup. In the log, Loaded driver or Did not load driver precedes the path to each file."

    My "systemroot" variable is "c:\windows" according to the command line "set". There is no such file in c:\windows. In fact I have done a search through the whole drive for Ntbtlog and found nothing!

    Anyway, I have taken photos of the relevant startup screens:
    http://www.hucker.plus.com/temp/xp/

    I tried safe mode, vga mode, and logging mode. All did the same - the text screen shown (only in safe mode), followed by the blue screen of death. Note the first address in the bottom line can have two values depending on which option I choose.

    This is happening as I said below with either of two PCI-EXPRESS cards, but not with either of two PCI cards.

    Peter Hucker, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Peter Hucker

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, Oct 30, 2005