AW8-MAX How many discs can u have?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Tim Norton, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. Tim Norton

    Tim Norton Guest

    Hi

    Just setting up my new AW8-Max for the first time and I am trying to
    figure out how many physical discs I can have.

    What I want is
    2 DVD-R's on PATA (IDE1)
    2 SATA II discs on the Silicon Image controller - Boot disc mirrored
    and 4 SATA discs on the INTEL controller - for RAID 5

    so a total of eight.

    What appears to be happening is when I turn on the raid option it
    appears to disable the SI controller as the PC does not boot - Bias
    shows the disks OK

    Motherboard manual appears to indicate that 6 discs is a maximum with
    IDE1 and Intel controller? What's the point of having the SI
    controller then?

    I can loose the DVD-R's as I can install a separate ide card to cover
    them and shut down the IDE1.

    Any views? Am I missing the point?

    Thanks

    Tim

    Tim Norton, Feb 20, 2006

  2. As many as you can physically connect!
    No, it's not disabling the SI controller, all that's happening is that the
    Intel controller is demoting the SI one in the boot device order, which will
    result in the BIOS having problems finding (and the boot.ini file correctly
    enumerating) the desired boot disk.
    See above.
    Yeah. Forget exactly how the AW8 BIOS looks, but suffice to say that
    everything you need to change to get your SI controller back to the top of
    the boot order will be found in there. If it looks how I think it does, look
    at the Boot Device Order control in the Advanced Setup section.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 21, 2006