    This is not an attempt on overclocking, etc., just a simple
    out-of-the-box first installation.

    Any suggestions, anyone?

    Squirrel, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Have you disabled the Floppy in BIOS settings? Many BIOS's give you an
    option to continue with a floppy disk failure or enter setup. This has
    nothing to do with Windows, it is part of the POST process. You should
    be able to enter the BIOS settings program, how will depend upon your
    BIOS and its age, see you motherboard manual.
    LED light on all the time usually indicates that the floppy connector is
    not connected correctly. Usually Pin 1 (coloured stripe) is at the Pin
    34 end, just turn it round. Alternatively you may have displaced the
    connector by one row, have only connected one strip of pins on the
    connector.

    The end of the ribbon with the twist connects to the floppy (teaching
    granny mode).

    Nicholas D Richards, Sep 20, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    You might be right, however there is a rather ugly side to it. Since
    resetting BIOS has no effect, and since I am not able to enter the BIOS
    to see or change the settings, I am unable to do anything.
    The floppy cable is correctly connected, on both sides, so this is not
    the problem. To mee it looks like the firmware of the motherboard (or
    maybe the chipsets firmware) is going either into a kind og loop or halts.

    Squirrel, Sep 20, 2005
  4. You might be right, however there is a rather ugly side to it. Since
    resetting BIOS has no effect, and since I am not able to enter the BIOS
    to see or change the settings, I am unable to do anything.
    [/QUOTE]

    PS/2 Keyboard plugged into the mouse socket?
    At this point I would suggest stripping down to the bare minimum.
    Graphics card, keyboard, processor (and fans), IDE drive, no other
    drives or cards and see if you can get into the BIOS.

    Nicholas D Richards, Sep 20, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    Good try, but nope. All in correct places. Actually, the problem appears
    during boot before keyboard or anything has been initialized.
    It is already stripped down to a bare minimum. One Graphics-card, no
    addons, no nothing. Even tried to change graphics-card, change disks,
    etc. with no effect.

    Squirrel, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    Leon Rowell Guest

    Are you using PS/2 or USB keyboard? If it is USB you might try a PS/2
    to see if it makes a difference.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Sep 20, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    Hi, Leon

    No USB keyboard or USB Mouse, just simple PS/2 interfaces.

    Squirrel, Sep 20, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    Starting a new thread on this.

    Is it possible that thw BIOS of the AW8-MAX needs more than 3-5 minutes
    to discharge the CMOS? Maybe that is the solution to my problem?

    Squirrel, Sep 20, 2005
  9. [/QUOTE]

    Really odd this. You had it working and then you installed the Intel
    chipset drivers and the POST stopped working? The chipset drivers do
    nothing until the operating system is booted, and your problem starts
    before the operating system is booting. Did you do anything inside the
    case after installing the drivers and before the problem occurred?

    The Keyboard is enabled and VGA graphics initiated long before the
    Floppy Controller is tested, so you should (! but then again maybe not)
    be able to use the keyboard.

    I am really fresh out of ideas. Last forlorn hope, is the fan running on
    the processor, and are both power connectors are securely on place.

    Nicholas D Richards, Sep 20, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Have you tried disconnecting the floppy cable from the motherboard?

    Also, if you've pulled the power cord and removed the battery to reset
    the cmos, then you've gone about as far as you can go on that front.
    One thing to double check would be that the reset jumper is
    correct/not backwards.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Sep 20, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    patrickp Guest

    No, but are you disconnecting all power when you reset CMOS? You
    should.

    Patrick

    patrickp, Sep 20, 2005
  12. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    Nicholas D Richards skrev:
    I agree about the "oddity" of this, and No - nothing was changed or even
    touched within the case (actually, it was closed). The strange thing is
    that all fans are working and all power connectors are safely in place.

    At this point I am quite out of ideas, but one - a rather far shot but
    anyway. Read somewhere that some Abit mainboards may use up to 24 hours
    to drain the CMOS during clear. I don't know if there is any truth in
    this, but I'm trying this at the moment. Hope it works, but I don't
    think so.

    Squirrel, Sep 20, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    patrickp skrev:
    I have tried both with power & battery connected/in, and with everything
    disconnected. Same result.

    I have read somewhere that some ABit-boards may need a lot more than 3-5
    minutes to drain/discharge the CMOS. So, currently I have removed
    power/battery from the motherboard and is trying to clear the CMOS over
    night. Hopefully that may do the trick, but actually I am completly out
    of ideas.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Squirrel, Sep 20, 2005
  14. I agree about the "oddity" of this, and No - nothing was changed or even
    touched within the case (actually, it was closed). The strange thing is
    that all fans are working and all power connectors are safely in place.

    At this point I am quite out of ideas, but one - a rather far shot but
    anyway. Read somewhere that some Abit mainboards may use up to 24 hours
    to drain the CMOS during clear. I don't know if there is any truth in
    this, but I'm trying this at the moment. Hope it works, but I don't
    think so.[/QUOTE]

    I have googled this problem. Not much to show for it, except this:

    http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=86916&highlight=6F+CODE

    the only person who seems to have solved the problem changed his memory.

    However I do have another suggestion.

    It is possible that there is a short circuit between the board and the
    case or the stand-offs holding the board in place.

    Take the board and disc drive out of the case and lay them on a non-
    conducting surface (a wooden desk top will do). Insert the graphics
    card in the PCI Express slot. You may need to take the power supply out
    of the case to connect up the power supply. Try booting (if you cannot
    reach the power on lead from the bezel short out the power on connector
    on the board). You only need to do this long enough to see the PC boot.

    Nicholas D Richards, Sep 20, 2005
  15. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    During this problem, I think I have tried every possible solution to my
    problem, ant the last resort was to try to clear the CMOS overnight (see
    other threads on this subject).

    After having removed battery, powercords etc from the motherboard, and
    let the system drain/discharge its CMOS overnight, atleast something
    good happened.

    Problem solved!!!!
    I was able to boot the system and enter the BIOS.

    I really don't know why this had to be done or why the problem first
    occured. To me, this is a kind of mystery ....

    Anyway, the fact is that the AW8-MAX needs much more time than the
    manual assumes to drain/discharge the CMOS. The manual estimates 3-5
    minutes, but this is not nearly enough. You also need to remove the
    battery to be able to clear it fully.

    Thanks alot to all those who helped me figure this out, and a special
    thanks to Nicholas.

    <* Squirrel *>

    Squirrel, Sep 21, 2005
  16. Phew! Glad you have found a solution. Solution duly noted if I come
    across this problem. It is still odd though, it is almost as if the
    CMOS clear jumper is doing nothing. I would not touch it now, if it
    ain't broke.........

    Your welcome.

    Nicholas D Richards, Sep 21, 2005