Award BIOS upgrade documentation -- where can it be found?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jim in Alaska, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Award BIOS upgrades can be downloaded from the ASUS website
    (http://www.asus.com/support/download/download.aspx). Documentation on
    how to flash BIOS's is available in numerous places on the net.

    However, I have not been able to locate documentation that explains
    what has been changed between revisions if a BIOS. Specifically, I am
    interested in knowing the functional differences between revisons
    1005, 1007 and 1009. Does anyone know where this information can be
    found?

    Thanks, JimInAlaska

    Context: I'm running asus a7v133 motherboards (rev 1.04 & 1`.05) with
    BIOS revisions 1005/1007. Recently I got another used a7v133 (rev
    1.04) board that has BIOS revision 1009 installed on it -- and I'm
    seeing some "unusual" behavior: The on-board AC97 audio is not being
    recognized (I get an error message that it has not been enabled in the
    BIOS, when it has been enabled) and there is a "boot manager" (asks if
    I want to boot from harddrive, cd, floppy, scsi). I have not
    encountered these problems/differences before, and I'm wondering if
    any of them are attributable to the 1009 BIOS.)

    Jim in Alaska, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Paul,

    Thanks for the suggestions and for the reference to the
    a7vtroubleshooting.com website. (I had seen references to it in other
    posts, but from the context I mis-assumed that it was for only the A7V
    board.)

    Last night I cleared the CMOS and rechecked the jumpers again (and
    found the ATA/RAID jumper was incorrect.) After erasing the OS drive
    (on the IDE primary), I reinstalled the OS (Win98SE) and things went
    much smoother.

    FWIW, regarding ASUS manuals for the a7v133, the ASUS website has two
    versions, but no "insert" pages. One of the differences between the
    two manuals are the jumper settings the ATA/RAID option.
    Unfortunately, I didn't see any "usage" information in the manuals --
    that is, Manual "A" goes with motherboard revisions x.x and/or bios
    revision x.x and Manual "B" goes with motherboard revisions y.y and/or
    bios revision y.y -- so it's hard to know if the more recent manual
    supercedes the prior manual for all motherboard/bios revisions, or
    just for later ones. [The OEM manuals that I have received with prior
    a7v133 motherboards (revisions 1.04 and 1.05, with bios 1005 and 1007)
    have been the earlier manual. However, with this motherboard (rev
    1.04, bios 1009), I'm using the settings from the newer manual and
    they seem to work so far.]

    Thanks again for your help,
    JimInAlaska

    Jim in Alaska, Jun 25, 2003