Award Boot Block Bios v1.0, BIOS rom checksum error

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Flip, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Flip

    Flip Guest

    Hello

    Here's my BIOs query for you wonderful fixit people:
    A week prior to the checksum message described below my PC started up
    with an extra and unusual message, something along the
    lines of: "Primary Bios fail, now booting using secondary BIOS.." Of
    course I shoud have got help then, but I figured as
    long as everything eventually booted, why bother?

    After about 7 or so boots like this I got a dreaded checksum error
    message and could not access anything besides the floppy
    drive. A "fundi" told me to flash the BIOS, but I've struggled finding
    the correct one. Usually the ones I did try either
    froze up everything or did not work at all. I downloaded most of the
    flash utilities from a jetway site.

    And unfortunately the Motherboard Utility CD has a flasher for an
    Amibios chip. Aarrgh!!

    Please, please put me one the trail of a flasher that works, or any
    advice to help my ailing PC!

    Thanks

    Flipflop.

    -----------------------
    CPU : AMD Athlon 2000 xp
    MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-7VAX REV1.2, K7 Triton 400, FSB333
    -----------------------------
    First startup screen:
    GA-622-32C VGA BIOS rev2.2 Gigabyte VGA Bios
    32MB ram AGP4X
    ---------------------------------
    Second screen:
    Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software
    Inc

    BIOS ROM checksum error

    Detecting floppy drive A media

    Drive media is: 1.44 MB

    Remove disks or other media
    Press any key to restart

    Flip, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Flip

    Kenny Guest

    First thing is change the m/b battery.

    Kenny, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Flip

    Richo Guest

    Try this flash utility http://www.uniflash.org/ . I used this just
    recently on a board with exactly the same symptoms as yours....after
    trying the standard Award utilities that come with the Gigabyte bios
    files I gave Uniflash a go and it worked perfectly whereas the award
    ones didn't...Good luck

    Richo, Jan 16, 2006